Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hardtop has a few spots of rust on the inside. I want to paint it to cover the rust and make it look better overall. What's a good paint that will hold up and cover well?

·
Registered
69 Posts
My interior is denim spice and I used a tan bed liner. Worked great. I'd send a pic but I'm a few thousand miles away from my jeep

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
My hardtop has a few spots of rust on the inside. I want to paint it to cover the rust and make it look better overall. What's a good paint that will hold up and cover well?
How did you get rust on a polyester hardtop?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
I used Rustoleum Enamel and rolled it on with a small foam roller i bought at walmart on the outside of my hard top. I roughed up the surface with sand paper i dont remember what grit but it was probably around 200. It has held up very well and very little has come off just very small chips here and there. It has faded but it dont look bad.

I know a lot of guys use herculiner on the outside of the top because it is textured. The problem is that it is way to textured and when you get mud and dirt on it you will pretty much never get it all off and it will look like a bag of smashed assholes when the sun fades it. I know people who have herculined whole trucks and they look like shit.

You could probably get away with something like Monstaliner though because its not nearly as textured. I know a guy who did his jeep in Monstaliner a few years ago and it still looks good because you can actually wash it and it holds up to UV light. But if you just want something cheap and easy that works use Rustoleum and a little foam roller from walmart.

Reactions: jguido24

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Yeah, that rust is not from the top as its not metal. Its from some attaching hardware or such. Just clean it and spray paint to match outside or white on the inside.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wait was the post for the inside or the outside? Because on the outside I sanded my too to bare fiberglass and used a marine gel coat. I only used the bed liner on the inside

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait was the post for the inside or the outside? Because on the outside I sanded my too to bare fiberglass and used a marine gel coat. I only used the bed liner on the inside

It's for the inside

1 - 8 of 8 Posts