Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im outside painting my headlight rings black. I'm using a primer, I already sanded them with 220 grit sand paper. Which paint should I use for the black? Krylon fusion satin black, rust control satin black or rust control flat black?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
You shouldn't need primer with the Krylon. It's designed to bond to plastic. I painted mine a few weeks ago and have had a high pressure washer within 4" of it with no peeling.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Lookin' good! Doesn't it make you smile a little wider when you see it now?:D

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm lovin it now.... Everyone was right about painting them... Took about 3 hrs to do and a six pack of beer. My garGe was 72 degrees also...

·
Registered
295 Posts
3 hours?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bigstonz said:
Yeah... You can see that my thread started about 2pm. Then I posted a pic of them finished about 6:30. I waited for a little bit too get some opinions on the paint I should use. Then I said hell with it and went at it. Maybe 3 1/2 hrs. They were dry to the touch so I threw them on.... They didn't chip or nothing when I installed them. I think since it's thin plastic stuff it dried quick. Now when I painted my thick metal mirror bracketts, they took forever to dry.....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well, if you include drying time I guess it took me a couple of days. 5 minutes to take them off. 5-10 minutes to scuff. I almost just put them back on "non chrome polished" - looked pretty good. I put a coat of paint (Semi gloss Rustoleum)on whenever I happened to be in the garage over the next couple of days. Then 5 minutes to put back on.
Now the only things chrome are lugnuts and the damn Jeep logo on the steering wheel..can you just scrape chrome off that logo?

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I just did mine today. note to all, painting in 15 degree weather is a PITA... but I got it done. Im probably gona redo them when I bedline my fenders and grill n rocker panel but, for now they look cute :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I just did mine today. note to all, painting in 15 degree weather is a PITA... but I got it done. Im probably gona redo them when I bedline my fenders and grill n rocker panel but, for now they look cute :)
When painting something small like that, you can set it up on a piece of cardboard. Take it outside, spray it, bring it back in to dry between coats. Be sure to bring the paint in also.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
When painting something small like that, you can set it up on a piece of cardboard. Take it outside, spray it, bring it back in to dry between coats. Be sure to bring the paint in also.
^^^^That's what I did. It made my wife mad because she's sensitive to paint smells and it stunk up the house a bit. It was worth it anyway though:cool:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JeepinDave said:
kevin, What kind of lift do you have on that jeep? Thats about the height I'm wanting to lift my jeep to.
It's a 4 inch ole man emu suspension lift. Thanks for noticing... Wavey...

·
Registered
349 Posts
What brand grill guard do you have?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts