Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls,

I've got a Stone White Jeep Wrangler JK X with the stock plastic no-color fender flares. I'm trying to find Sahara style fender flares, smooth plastic, for my Jeep and I'm wondering if I could buy different colored Sahara fender flares (grey, black, etc.) and paint them Stone White.
Would this be possible or a waste of money?
Thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hey guys and girls,

I've got a Stone White Jeep Wrangler JK X with the stock plastic no-color fender flares. I'm trying to find Sahara style fender flares, smooth plastic, for my Jeep and I'm wondering if I could buy different colored Sahara fender flares (grey, black, etc.) and paint them Stone White.
Thanks
Any thing's possible.

·
Retired Moderator
100,752 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,884 Posts
The factory does not sell painted roofs or fenders unless already installed.

You can get lucky and find someone selling white fenders, or take them to a body shop where they will sand them down to a manageable flatness, fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, primer and paint. I would not think it would be horribly priced, but you never know.

Of all the JK/JKU/JL/JLU's in my area, there are only a handful that are completely painted. Mine is, but it was part of the package mine came as in Chief.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey guys and girls,

Thanks
As USStrongman pointed out, body-colour fender replacement parts come unpainted.

So, repainting incorrect colour painted fenders to match your Jeep is totally feasible and would not be a waste of money if you want your Jeep to have body-colour fenders.

The front fenders are held by a few screws and some "Christmas tree" clips. The rear fenders are only held by "Christmas tree" clips. The inner fenders are attached to the fenders with plastic pulled rivets, a tool is probably required to pull these rivets, but the tool is probably low cost.

I think that it would be much more easier to repaint smooth fenders that it would be to sand down the plastic on your textured black fenders.

Also, the Sahara came with body-colour fenders, but it they were also optional on the Rubicon.

:)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey guys and girls,

Thanks

Welcome to WF!

Is this something you plan on trying yourself, or something you would take into a shop?

Painting white over any other color is more difficult. Doing it yourself would be a lot cheaper, and the results would depend on your skills. Having a shop do it professionally would turn out better, most likely, but you will pay a premium for that.
Like mentioned, anything is possible, just add money. And whether it's a waste or not is completely your call. For me, I like the unpainted textured jeep fenders and it would be a waste. But you're not the first person to ask this, and if it's worth it to you, then go for it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went down the route of finding some to paint, but decided to hold out until I found a set of white take offs.

Took a bit longer, but finding some white take offs was cheaper than having them painted. They already had some weathering and chips, which made them match my '13 better.

Keep in mind, JKU fenders fit the 2 door JK just fine, and are easier to find.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
The forward face of mine are pitted from the PO so been looking for some take off white rears in new condition for some time. To get mine repainted is $4 to 6 hundred. It's back burner kind of stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts