Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get rid of my chrome grill overlay but the PO got the jeep painted red while the chrome overlay was already on the jeep so underneath it is white. I know I need to sand it down, primer, and paint it. Should I take the grill off and paint it or leave it on? Any other suggestions you guys may have?

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
I have looked at doing mine since the fenders are new and freshly painted. It would be best to remove it so you can get the paint to look right and don't beat up the fenders when you sand and prep the grille. Lot of work because of the radiator and the forward body mount. But up to you.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
been wanting to bed line mine,,,,figure i,ll take it off for that,,

·
Registered
571 Posts
There is truly no reason to go through the trouble of removing it if you are going to bedline it. It will take you about 1/5th the time to prep and tape than to remove it and the end product will be the same.
Ive done mine, and I guarantee without taking the grill out you will not tell it was sprayed while still in place.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I'd say leave it in place, wet sand it really good, clean it with some good pre-paint treatment and then bedliner over it. Just make sure you get intot he nooks and crannies really good.

Denis

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im pretty sure i will be painting my grill tomorrow some time. When i do i will be sure to post up some pictures. thanks for the responses

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so i didnt get around to it yesterday, we pulled the engine and the transmission out of my dads sand rail to go get them rebuilt instead

1 - 9 of 9 Posts