Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the idea process of painting over powder coating?

The reason I ask is 4WD is running a killer deal on Poisoon Spyder Tan powder coated fenders - $596 for front and rear Steel fenders shipped - https://www.4wd.com/p/poison-spyder-front-steel-crusher-flares-standard-width-tan-powder-coat-17-03-030tan/_/R-FVNN-17-03-030TAN?utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170517_smittybilt_flash_sale&trk_msg=GJU8CG0AQH34FBJGBBPF8MG63C&trk_contact=EQ0HVR7PTJMF89BJ6HDT42ED1C&trk_sid=3642M0IBDM0PO35NR0OK22VIQ8

Tan is no-go on my blue JK. Could I get away with stain black rattle can after prepping? Or would it be necessary to apply a black powder coat?

Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
For that price you could just get them re coated and still come it way under.

Or just rough them up, rub them down with a solvent, self etching primer, rattle can bedliner, enjoy.

If I just didn't put a deposit on my upcoming lift I would have been all over these

·
Registered
200 Posts
You don't have to put powder over it. Powder coat is a plastic (usually polyester), so a plastic primer would be good. I teach powder coating at a makerspace and have had a few people paint designs over powder without problem.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If it's a textured powder you don't even need to scuff it. If it's gloss then just scuff it up good and you'll be golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
I already have Crusher flares on my 2016 but I went ahead and ordered these for the wife's 2017. Great deal.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The original link said, "Ships today!" Yeah, not so much...

Still says "processing order" almost 24 hours later. I'm not concerned yet, but Amazon and my dealings with Qtec, etc have spoiled me.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts