Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Steel corner guards that are powder coated and I want to know if its possible to paint them a darker black to match my tube fenders! If so what would be the best paint! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can paint over powdercoat. You'll need to scuff the surface first with a grey scuff pad (or fine steel wool) so your paint will adhere to it. Lots of people are using bedliner...I like the rubberized undercoating even better because it typically will have a little less texture to it. Not sure if you are looking for a flat black or not though...if you want a satin finish, VHT epoxy is great stuff! You can find it at about any auto parts store...I just used it on my top and it refreshed the black nicely and doesn't have a shiny finish either, just a slight sheen to it

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yep, scuff it and paint it, or if you like to over-do as I do, MEK will take powdercoat right off. I discovered this accidentally... doh

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry to hijack but how about if you use rustoleum Bedliner on the fenders, bumpers I don't care for for the flat black color is like alittle more shiny. Can I paint over the Bedliner?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Some rubberized undercoating you can paint over...not 100% sure about bed liner. It should say on the can if it is paintable or not...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts