Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to paint my Jeep Wrangler 2008 Jk stock plastic flares and rear bumper as they are pretty faded and I don't want to spend thousands to get new gear, and I am starting to do my vehicle up and I would like the flares and bumper to be nice a new.

if anyone has any ideas on this or has done it before, please let me know what sort of paint to use and how the process works!

Cheers
Justin

·
Registered
645 Posts
You can try a renewal product like Wipe New if they are faded to that chalky grey color that plastic auto trim tends to do. I tried the Armor All Outlast on my F150 and it worked really well. But it didn't last long on the fender flares and required reapplication. (strangely lasted longer on the mirrors and door handles) I've heard that Wipe New lasts longer.

EDIT: If you try the heat gun thing, I would take them off first to avoid hurting your paint. Super easy to do. Even the bumpers. Took my rear off today to remove the silver bumper cover. 6 bolts and the hole bumper weighs only a few pounds.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Look at a product called Forever Black. It is a black dye made for plastic automotive trim and it has very good reviews on Amazon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I painted my front bumper with a truck bed liner paint from Lowes and I think it turn out great!!

I was also going to paint fenders and rear bumper!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fender paint

I have been told by the paint place in my local town that, it works good by cleaning my flares, then sanding them down, then applying an ech primer paint, then about 3 or 4 coats of which ever colour you like, what are your ideas on this?

cheers Justin

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I did my 2008 JKUR fenders 2 years ago using Rust-Oleum paint for plastic. I cleaned them with soap & water using a scrub brush and once they were dry I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol to remove any possible oils. I taped off the jeep and painted them with the canned spray paint. Absolutely no pealing or flaking 2 years later. The prep work is the most crucial as with all type of painting projects.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts