Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,
Rock rails need some attention B4 bad weather here in NE. Thinking bout using POR-15 to repaint rails. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sand the rust. Then use some self etching primer and Rust-Oleum truck bed liner paint.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Wipe them down, mask of the body, foam roller and some satin finish black Rustoleum.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Personally I would remove them to paint. They are easy to remove and ensure you are not over spraying. At least the is what I did.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Used Rustoleum Hammered black(more granite than black) w/a roller and brush on mine. Holding up pretty good too after 3 years.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I sanded off the rust on mine, as well as any loose paint, and sprayed on a couple of coats of the textured black Rustoleum. Works great, looks pretty good too.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Howdy all,
Rock rails need some attention B4 bad weather here in NE. Thinking bout using POR-15 to repaint rails. Any thoughts??
POR-15 is awesome stuff. Remember regardless of the color you POR you use it needs to be top coated.
Maybe remove the rail, POR them and then use the bed liner over the top once you have them sealed up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
remove them, scruff/blast/sand, use POR-15.. top-coat with primer / bed-liner

I used to use just bedliner, and it generally only lasted 2-3 years (where stone chipping could happen). I moved to POR-15 first, and not had any problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts