Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the black Willy's wheels with the little silver jeep logo. I have not been able to find a set on CL for a reasonable price. I can get new Rubicon take off wheels AND BFG M/T tires for the same price people are wanting for their Willy's wheels with Wrangler SR-A's.

I'm picking up a set of Rubicon take off's this week. They are the mineral grey with the black jeep on them. I would like to have them painted black. So here's my stupid question....how do they get the little jeep logo on the wheels? Is it a little masking sticker that they use?

These wheels/tires will be broken down, blasted, prepped and painted. I'd like the little silver jeep logo, but if it's too complicated to reproduce, I'll just go all black.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Just to clarify something you may not realize: Willys Wheeler editions all come with the same BFG KMs in 255/75-17 as the Rubicon. Identical wheel/tire combo except for the gloss black paint and the cool Anvil MB silhouette. :)

My point being that you might want to rethink your purchase and buy any pair of Willys wheels you can find, since it's highly unlikely somebody unmounted the MTs and put a set of SR-As on them. That makes no sense.

Even with the higher price that people are getting for the black Willys wheels, I'm sure they're still cheaper than the Rubis with an aftermarket paint job. Plus, they will have a better finish.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe they are from MOAB editions. They look very much like the Willy's wheels.

Regardless, does anyone know how they're getting the logo on them?

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Maybe they are from MOAB editions. They look very much like the Willy's wheels.

Regardless, does anyone know how they're getting the logo on them?
Okay, the Moabs are dull or flat black, the Willys is gloss black. Both have the Jeep logo, as does the Rubicon X and Hardrock (but these are in red.) The Moab comes with the Goodyear ATs, all the others come with the BFG MTs.

You can stick a sticker on there if you like, but I don't think it's going to last long. The OEM ones feel like they're painted on. Not sure of the process but it's not got a raised edge, at least on the Willys. I don't think you're going to be able to duplicate that.

Not sure why, if both the Jeep logo and the MTs are important to you, you've decided to choose between the two wheels that DON'T have both of those features, when there are 3 types of wheels that DO have both of the features.

I know a lot of the Willys people are starting to take their wheels off and go with aftermarket -- with some patience I bet you could find those wheels for sale.

Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
???...I would not put a sticker on my wheels. That doesn't make any sense. My reference to a sticker was simply as a paint mask. The factory has to mask the little jeep somehow. If it's raised, that will make it super easy, as I can just use liquid mask on it after blasting and prep.

All I'm looking for is the Rubicon style wheel, in black, preferably with the silver little jeep, matte /gloss doesn't matter, with better tires than wranglers. So far, painting Rubi take offs that come with tires is the cheapest option available near me. I've been researching a couple of months now.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
???...I would not put a sticker on my wheels. That doesn't make any sense. My reference to a sticker was simply as a paint mask. The factory has to mask the little jeep somehow. If it's raised, that will make it super easy, as I can just use liquid mask on it after blasting and prep.

All I'm looking for is the Rubicon style wheel, in black, preferably with the silver little jeep, matte /gloss doesn't matter, with better tires than wranglers. So far, painting Rubi take offs that come with tires is the cheapest option available near me. I've been researching a couple of months now.
Then great! Sounds like you have all the answers. Not sure what your question is.

Carry on! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts