Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone has had their stock black fenders painted to match their Jeep color. I talking dealer quality here, not a rattle can job. Just wondering if the texture finish in the fenders was sanded out and the job came out smooth. Any pics would be appreciated, thanks.

trainman

·
Registered
688 Posts
You can't paint the black ABS fenders and expect the paint to stay on. If you want painted fenders you will have to find some Sahara's on Craigslist and paint them or have them painted.

·
Registered
986 Posts
You can't paint the black ABS fenders and expect the paint to stay on. If you want painted fenders you will have to find some Sahara's on Craigslist and paint them or have them painted.
Auto primer made for plastic body parts will work perfectly as the base coat.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's pretty much BS, I'm a retired body shop mgr. for over 30 years, I know these fenders can by painted with the correct finish products they have today. I just wanted to see some that were redone and see how they turned out. As far a rattle can paint, Plasti Dip, Fusion, its all a low quality product designed to be used for the non professional, in other words a cheap repair and why anyone would think that rattle can products would give a quality repair is beyond me.

trainman

·
Registered
214 Posts
Been considering this as well. I think with a good adhesion promoter and a light flexible epoxy primer it would work. My only concern is not being able to build it enough to smooth it out without getting it too thick.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have not tried this myself, but my Bro-in-law tried it and the paint peeled. He told me he researched it and supposedly used all the right stuff. Can't tell you the process he used but he's a real thorough guy. Obviously you being a body and paint man you must know your stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts