Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my new KC bumper light hoop for my stock bumper and it is nice and black but my bumper is not so much. So...since I have painted all of my plastic flares, license plate bracket etc....I wanted to paint the bumper as soon as this hoop arrived.

I have taken the bumper off the jeep. Now just need to know the best way to do this. Clean first...then...prime and paint? Just paint it without primer? What type of paint. The Krylon fusion SATIN BLACK worked so well on the plastics...thought about going with Krylon statin black for metal surfaces and calling it done.

Ideas? Thoughts? Previous experience?

·
Registered
413 Posts
How about bedlining it. Clean and sand the surface. Spray a few light coats then apply some more. The more you add the smoother it gets. Looks good when done.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
black bbq grill paint looks good, thats what i paint my bumpers, and things with

·
Registered
698 Posts
black bbq grill paint looks good, thats what i paint my bumpers, and things with
+2 on the BBQ Black by Rustolieum, it holds up extreamly well.:dance:

·
Registered
222 Posts
So I got my new KC bumper light hoop for my stock bumper and it is nice and black but my bumper is not so much. So...since I have painted all of my plastic flares, license plate bracket etc....I wanted to paint the bumper as soon as this hoop arrived.

I have taken the bumper off the jeep. Now just need to know the best way to do this. Clean first...then...prime and paint? Just paint it without primer? What type of paint. The Krylon fusion SATIN BLACK worked so well on the plastics...thought about going with Krylon statin black for metal surfaces and calling it done.

Ideas? Thoughts? Previous experience?
i think u got the best idea, using same paint 4 metal. rough it up a little bit with steel wool(lightly), wipe it with thinner, & paint.. good luck with it...:)

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
If it were me....

Remove, clean and let dry, sand off all rust and loose paint with a fine grit sandpaper, clean again and let dry, prime it, sand any rough spots with an extra fine grit sandpaper, wipe clean to remove all dust particles (wet rag), let dry, paint.

No recommendations on paint really...I'm not a fan of Krylon Fusion on metal, I painted a BMX bike with it when I was younger (sanded to bare metal, primed, and painted paying close attention to detail so it turned out "perfect") and it chipped way too easily for my liking...Rustoleum makes a gloss black industrial grade paint that they sell at Home Depot/Lowes/etc. I used a can of that to paint the bed of our dump truck at work (inside and out) and it's held up pretty well everywhere that sees reasonable use. The inside is pretty scraped up...but when you're hauling 4 tons of gravel at a time and using a tractor to unload it scoop by scoop, that's kind of hard on any paint...lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts