Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever successfully painted their stock fenders?

I've got the Sport fenders, but if the price was right, and if it could be done, I'd take them off and take them to a local shop to have them painted to match the black of my jeep.

Is it possible? Or would the expansion/contraction of the plastic in heat/cold cause cracking and flaking?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Has anyone ever successfully painted their stock fenders?

I've got the Sport fenders, but if the price was right, and if it could be done, I'd take them off and take them to a local shop to have them painted to match the black of my jeep.

Is it possible? Or would the expansion/contraction of the plastic in heat/cold cause cracking and flaking?
Before going to all that hassle, maybe try to find a set of painted fenders on e-bay, c-list, etc. Mine were painted. Tore em off and listed em on C-list. No takers, so I donated em to the local landfill.

Surely they're out there, looking for a home.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I really really want painted fenders/top for my cosmos :hide:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Oh God, here come the flames....from the same guys who won't wave at me because I have painted fenders.
Maybe they won't wave at you, but you can always initiate. Only takes one finger. :D

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Awe crap. Seriously?? :hide:
Eh. Real Jeepers will still wave. I live in Harley Country, and ride a rice rocket. Most passing me will wave; some don't. Takes no minutes off my life.

Man...I had four black, shiny fenders just sitting on a workbench for about a week. Thought sure they'd sell. I was willing to give em away, to get em outta my garage. I think part of the problem was that it was January at the time...subzero. Hated throwing em out. I just kept thinking, "there's a Jeeper out there wanting these bad boys..."

·
Registered
102 Posts
Eh. Real Jeepers will still wave. I live in Harley Country, and ride a rice rocket. Most passing me will wave; some don't. Takes no minutes off my life.

Man...I had four black, shiny fenders just sitting on a workbench for about a week. Thought sure they'd sell. I was willing to give em away, to get em outta my garage. I think part of the problem was that it was January at the time...subzero. Hated throwing em out. I just kept thinking, "there's a Jeeper out there wanting these bad boys..."
Still have them??? I'm interested if you do.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
He clearly said he donated them to a landfill lol

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Have you considered aftermarket metal fenders. Would be a lot easier to paint and give much better clearance. Just a thought if the money isn't an issue. The Xenon fenders for example or maybe the new ACE fenders. You also have Metalcloak, GenRight, River Raider, Warriors and several others.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm highly surprised these painted fenders aren't more readily available at stealerships.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Still have them??? I'm interested if you do.
He clearly said he donated them to a landfill lol
:rofl:

Hey, I tried. I even offered em to a member here on the forum, but he was in the middle of figuring out mods, and waffled, so I trashed em.

PW, there's a member here named dvdsjk who made his Jeep into a stubby, and painted some Bushwacker flatties. Posted photos from it, and seemed like he knew what was what, paint-wise. Personally, I'd think the stock fenders would be eminently more paintable than the BW's, but he got it done, and it looked pretty awesome. As I recall, it involved a gas mask and several sheets of hanging plastic, but...Maybe shoot him a PM, if you're really committed, and won't be swayed.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe shoot him a PM, if you're really committed, and won't be swayed.

I'm not that committed yet. I'm just looking through the black jeep thread and I really like the look of the body matched fenders.

I'm not going to go out and buy them from the dealership, but if someone has a set of takeoffs, or if painting my stock fenders is relatively affordable, I may consider it.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'm not that committed yet. I'm just looking through the black jeep thread and I really like the look of the body matched fenders.

I'm not going to go out and buy them from the dealership, but if someone has a set of takeoffs, or if painting my stock fenders is relatively affordable, I may consider it.
Rick made a pretty good point up in post #12. The Xenons were high up on my list (think you can even buy em painted, factory colors, from the Q). Don't recall why I opted for the BW's over them, but it wasn't any major reason. They ain't cheap, though.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll check out the Xenon's and the others. I really enjoy the stock, or nearly stock look though.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'll check out the Xenon's and the others. I really enjoy the stock, or nearly stock look though.
Just throwing it out there. Shotgun effect. I really think, though, if you're patient, you'll find a set of the painted black fenders. Especially in a city the size of Houston. Maybe even check with the dealers, let em know that if they mod their Jeeps, and somebody wants aftermarket fenders...

Also, might hit up local Jeep/4x4 shops. Bet those guys rip em off modded Jeeps all the time, in due course of commerce.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts