Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gobi JKU Sahara. I would like Gobi colored wheels because I’m interested in a military jeep motif. Can’t afford rims that look like the Armory Truck rims
https://www.blackrhinowheels.com/off-road-wheels-rims-armory.php

I’ve already bought larger tires for the 18 inch rims, so I’m stuck with these tires until I can afford new rims and tires (2years out, at least).

Anyone have experience with painting the stock rims? I would assume sanding the clear coat off, primer and paint. But, will it last in the northeast?

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I had my ‘08, I had the 18” Sahara wheels. I cleaned them, lightly sanded, blew the dust off, and the I bedlined my wheels. Turned out good and didn’t show wear after 3 years when I got rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Maclovin. Your name points to Hawaii, but your pics don’t.
Any relationship?
https://oddslifenetstorage.blob.core.windows.net/sbcnews/2015/08/maclovin-300x188.png

it’s funny I use some form of MacLovin for most of my online stuff and I don’t get many responses on it. But yours....best I’ve had yet

Some other tips - use quarters wrapped in painters tape for the lug holes in the wheels. Light coats of paint!! Like it shows in the picture - use playing cards in between the wheel/tire to create a “barrier”. Trying to tape of a circle is a PITA. Good luck!

Post up your results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I believe plastidip is available in a tan color.
I would try that first.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a Gobi JKU Sahara. I would like Gobi colored wheels because I’m interested in a military jeep motif. Can’t afford rims that look like the Armory Truck rims
https://www.blackrhinowheels.com/off-road-wheels-rims-armory.php

I’ve already bought larger tires for the 18 inch rims, so I’m stuck with these tires until I can afford new rims and tires (2years out, at least).

Anyone have experience with painting the stock rims? I would assume sanding the clear coat off, primer and paint. But, will it last in the northeast?

This is how i did it on my X5 wheels.
One wheel at the time, mat the clear coat with 1500-2000 grid sand paper, dont have to remove the clear-coat just remove the gloss.
Mask the tire, air valve, with tape
Degrease, I used acetone.
Spray in desired color, i used glossy black rattle can from Walmart, 3 cans for 4, 20" wheels.
At the time I finished the second wheel the first one was ready to be installed back.
I think i used filler to fix curb rush on one of them.
Over all looked awesome, car was sold one year after never had to respray.
It took me probably 2 hours to do all 4.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Years ago I painted the wheels on my XJ. I just used a Scotchbrite pad to take the gloss off of the clearcoat, then washed them with dish soap and warm water.

Duplicolor makes a self-etching primer that will bite into the finish and give you a good smooth base. Think I did 2 light coats.

Then I used Duplicolor wheel paint in a matte black. They only have a few color choices. I'm sure there are other paints designed for wheels that are salt and grease and brake dust resistant.

I ran these for 5 years on a daily driver so they saw plenty of salt, road grime and also wheeled with them. I never had any chipping or other damage.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts