Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the white interior of my hardtop, has anyone sprayed theres? I want to hit mine with satin black or maybe even plastidip. Anyone have pics if they've done it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I hate the white interior of my hardtop, has anyone sprayed theres? I want to hit mine with satin black or maybe even plastidip. Anyone have pics if they've done it.
Yea that white is harsh. I have a roll of black automotive carpet I picked up from Walmart that I'll be applying one weekend, as soon as I have a full uninterrupted day! I plan on putting down the roofing tar adhesive with the foil backing on it first to try and sound dampen it a bit, it's the same stuff as dynamat but they sell at lowes and for about $20 instead of $60+. Hopin' it works, if not...that'd the beauty of the Jeep lifestyle. Yank it out and start over. :bop:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea that white is harsh. I have a roll of black automotive carpet I picked up from Walmart that I'll be applying one weekend, as soon as I have a full uninterrupted day! I plan on putting down the roofing tar adhesive with the foil backing on it first to try and sound dampen it a bit, it's the same stuff as dynamat but they sell at lowes and for about $20 instead of $60+. Hopin' it works, if not...that'd the beauty of the Jeep lifestyle. Yank it out and start over. :bop:
I like that Idea!
Right now I have the rugged ridge inserts on mine so it doesn't look too terrible. I just think it would look so much cleaner inside with a black top to match my black leather and trim . I'm just not sure how to do the areas around the clasps/hinge thingies, since they make contact with the top to secure it. The paint would come off the first time I resecure hardtop.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did on my old 06 LJ. I used duplicolor spray bedliner in the rattle can. Came out great. Just mask everything off and get to spraying. Take top off of course. I'll probably do it to my JKU even though I don't plan on running the hard top much.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I haven't done it but I started chatting a lady while getting gas one day (you know us Jeepers lol) and she ended up showing me hers. It looked really good. She had it painted inside and installed the headliners, I liked the look. We happened to get our Jeep with the headliners already installed but sure it can be done. She actually works for a paint an body shop and her boss is also a Jeeper he did his and she was like mines next.

Go for it OP

·
Registered
63 Posts
Definitely do it especially if you have black interior like I did. It looks much better when everything is black. That white top just looked funny next to black. I would paint it whatever color your interior is. Will look very nice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's funny I went to look at a car today. I have been looking at Rubicons for a while but I had never even looked inside one much less driven one. The first thing that hit me was the white roof. Terrible. It's a black car with black interior. I took it home to test it till tomorrow. If I decide to keep it which I think I will plastidipping or painting the interior roof black will be one of the first things I do.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Plasti dip is the way to go, it looks rugged. It does wear off on the contact points of the freedom panels from taking them on and off though. DO ITTTT!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
One of the first things i did, makes a world of diff. I dipped mine and wish i had just sprayed a satin paint bc its always coming off, but the black looks soooo much better. It looks more expensive, more stealth, more class, the way it should be. When i see white i just see something undone. I also did the mopar liners and hid dynamat everywhere i could under the liners. And the rest of the truck for that dyna-matter. Get it? -for that matter, bwahahaa. I need sleep. Now, psycho, what led me to ur profile, someone told me u did some cool stuff to ur hood. Post pix?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of the first things i did, makes a world of diff. I dipped mine and wish i had just sprayed a satin paint bc its always coming off, but the black looks soooo much better. It looks more expensive, more stealth, more class, the way it should be. When i see white i just see something undone. I also did the mopar liners and hid dynamat everywhere i could under the liners. And the rest of the truck for that dyna-matter. Get it? -for that matter, bwahahaa. I need sleep. Now, psycho, what led me to ur profile, someone told me u did some cool stuff to ur hood. Post pix?
I just added some rugged ridge stuff to Make the hood look not so plain . I plan on getting the rugged ridge hood eventually. No big difference.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just added some rugged ridge stuff to Make the hood look not so plain . I plan on getting the rugged ridge hood eventually. No big difference.
No need to get a new hood, just cut a hole in the one you got. Think about it...save you about a grand. That black beauty is calling out "cut me, Mick."

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did they paint it white to keep the cabin cooler? After you painted it did you notice that it's warmer to the touch? I have ac so it's not a big deal, I just don't want radiating heat coming from it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I was thinking of taking mine to a spray insulation company to have it insulated. They can spray on foam insulation, as thick or thin as you want. Had it done to a pu topper years ago. Made a huge difference in the temps.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I was thinking of taking mine to a spray insulation company to have it insulated. They can spray on foam insulation, as thick or thin as you want. Had it done to a pu topper years ago. Made a huge difference in the temps.
How much does that cost and where did you have it done? I'm in mo as well

·
Registered
495 Posts
Had it done in the 80's while I was in Phoenix, AZ. Believe it was about $75 back then, but it was an 8' bed topper.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did i plastidiped the front of my hardtop but i insulated and then i put carpet over it i think i liked the carpet better than the plastidip plus! It helped a but with the exterior noise

image-3724518146.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts