Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to reach out to hear from others who have painted the inside of there hardtop. I have read many of the threads but what I really what like to hear is from people who have now lived with it over time, talking the top on and off, normal day-to-day wear and tear, do the clamps scratch the paint...... how are is the paint (or bedliner material) holding up? Not after a week but it would be great to hear from those who are 6months. Would you do again. Would you use a different product? Would you have it done professionally?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Have you looked at plasti dip? It's cheap, goes on easy and is easy to touch up. If you change your mind on colour, just peel it off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The point of this thread is looking for peoples experiences. If you have used it, it would be great to hear/see the details.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Painted mine the exact same. Flat black Krylon and hothead liners. Get compliments from other Jeepers all the time. 8 months and small wear marks from sliding the locks open but only noticeable to me. Would do again in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Painted mine the exact same. Flat black Krylon and hothead liners. Get compliments from other Jeepers all the time. 8 months and small wear marks from sliding the locks open but only noticeable to me. Would do again in a heartbeat!
I've thought about doing this as well but if I do, I'll go with plasti dip. I remember someone on here mentioning how dark the interior would seem after painting it black. What are your thoughts on this? Does it make it feel any bigger or smaller?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've thought about doing this as well but if I do, I'll go with plasti dip. I remember someone on here mentioning how dark the interior would seem after painting it black. What are your thoughts on this? Does it make it feel any bigger or smaller?
I don't see any difference or feel closed in by my top being black. I don't understand the reasoning when people say that. What's the difference when you're in a car with black interior? To me the white interior with anything other than a white Jeep was god awful. I hated it and I love my black top.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Looks good Bruhee, I've been thinking about the same set up with painting ceiling and walls black and adding a set of hot heads. Can you tell me if the hotheads had any problem adhering to the painted surface?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
LOL...that might have been me. But there are a few others that have mentioned the cave-like interior. I'm not sure if you have a premium soft top or not, but that is sorta how it would feel.

I don't see any difference or feel closed in by my top being black. I don't understand the reasoning when people say that. What's the difference when you're in a car with black interior? To me the white interior with anything other than a white Jeep was god awful. I hated it and I love my black top.

The main reason I picked a Sahara was because I wanted saddle leather interior with matching Hotheads so that it would look much brighter and inviting. I think like the all white look of the stock hardtop either because it looked like an Igloo cooler....but Hotheads against the white background help.

Either way, it is YOUR Jeep...so all that really counts is that it is exactly how YOU want it. :happyyes:

Now...another question. Is that your garage floor? I love the checkered flag look. How is it holding up? How long did it take to do?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Flat huh... I was debating flat vs satin. I plan on installing the Mopar headliers so I would paint enough to cover but not concern myself with the space under the headliners.3

·
Registered
430 Posts
Flat huh... I was debating flat vs satin. I plan on installing the Mopar headliers so I would paint enough to cover but not concern myself with the space under the headliners.3
I'm gonna mask off the area were the headliner will be. No sense painting it if it's gonna be covered. Only painting the freedom panels.

FYI I've had now done both the Hot heads in our 13 and most of the mopar kit (less the freedom panels) in our 15 and I like the mopar kit hands down.

·
Registered
597 Posts
LOL...that might have been me. But there are a few others that have mentioned the cave-like interior. I'm not sure if you have a premium soft top or not, but that is sorta how it would feel. The main reason I picked a Sahara was because I wanted saddle leather interior with matching Hotheads so that it would look much brighter and inviting. I think like the all white look of the stock hardtop either because it looked like an Igloo cooler....but Hotheads against the white background help. Either way, it is YOUR Jeep...so all that really counts is that it is exactly how YOU want it. :happyyes: Now...another question. Is that your garage floor? I love the checkered flag look. How is it holding up? How long did it take to do?
Yeah that's my garage floor. Luckily the owner before me had it painted already. So I redid the rest of the garage but luckily the floor was already painted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts