Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys who have done an axle swap or just decided to clean up the lower side, did you paint the knuckles. I just popped mine off and the have what appears to be surface rust. I've been using my dremmel to busy some of it off. I'm debating soaking them in rust remover and then painting. Is there any reason I can't do this? It seems that the areas that mate up with the wheel bearing and bolt heads are all machined and free from paint. I'm guessing I need to tape these areas off? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wire brushed them and hit them with high temp engine paint. I taped up everything machined. They look orange but are actually red.

Don't need to paint but it was something fun to do.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Question... high temp paint for a reason, or just what you had laying around? The knuckles don't pick up heat from the calipers do they?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just wire brushed them and hit them with high temp engine paint. I taped up everything machined. They look orange but are actually red.

Don't need to paint but it was something fun to do.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Question... high temp paint for a reason, or just what you had laying around? The knuckles don't pick up heat from the calipers do they?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

Used it on my diff covers, but no real need for it for either. It was just a color I liked and it was all in one paint and primer. Has held up well and seems to be really durable. Its a few bucks more per can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts