Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gave their Tie Rod or Track Bar a paint job? Seeing that I have bought all Moog steering system it looks to me that it's just bare metal. Is it safe to give it a paint job?

·
Registered
578 Posts
The PO of my jeep painted pretty much everything (except brakes) black underneath my jeep (I have a 4" SJ lift too). Sorry, I don't have any pics right now but have had no problems yet (fingers crossed)!.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The PO of my jeep painted pretty much everything (except brakes) black underneath my jeep (I have a 4" SJ lift too). Sorry, I don't have any pics right now but have had no problems yet (fingers crossed)!.
Thanks for the reply. How long have you owned your jeep for?

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Painting it will not have any ill affect on it. I touched mine up after the alignment left a few scars.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I paint mine every winter. I hit the diff covers, axles, skid plates and frame rails too. Great excuse to really inspect things as you clean them up and get it ready to paint. It keeps everything looking fresh and corrosion free down there. Just use some newspaper or something to cover the components behind what you are painting so you don't get a bunch of overspray on everything. If you haven't installed them yet, it's a perfect time to paint them.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I may have missed touching it up last year because it was pretty dirty, but here are some before and after shots I took this time. Keeping it clean and painted not only keeps it from rusting, it also makes it nicer for working on, especially if you need to do a trail repair. I know this is a little overkill, but...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may have missed touching it up last year because it was pretty dirty, but here are some before and after shots I took this time. Keeping it clean and painted not only keeps it from rusting, it also makes it nicer for working on, especially if you need to do a trail repair. I know this is a little overkill, but...
Awesome Dave looks great! What did you paint it with?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Glossy black spray paint. Any brand will do.

edit: Rear end cleans up nicely too:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
Has anyone gave their Tie Rod or Track Bar a paint job? Seeing that I have bought all Moog steering system it looks to me that it's just bare metal. Is it safe to give it a paint job?
They both need to be painted or they will quickly start to rust. Spray it with primer first, then apply a couple coats of Satin Black. Rustoleum and Krylon are two good brands of aerosol paint.

One important thing to keep in mind... be VERY careful to apply second or third coats of the satin black paint only according to the instructions. If you don't, the subsequent coats of paint will wrinkle severely. You have to apply subsequent coats of paint either soon after the first coat before it dries, or no sooner than several days later after the first coat(s) to give them time to completely cure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glossy black spray paint. Any brand will do.

edit: Rear end cleans up nicely too:
Looks great Dave. Very clean! Not in a bad way haha.

They both need to be painted or they will quickly start to rust. Spray it with primer first, then apply a couple coats of Satin Black. Rustoleum and Krylon are two good brands of aerosol paint.

One important thing to keep in mind... be VERY careful to apply second or third coats of the satin black paint only according to the instructions. If you don't, the subsequent coats of paint will wrinkle severely. You have to apply subsequent coats of paint either soon after the first coat before it dries, or no sooner than several days later after the first coat(s) to give them time to completely cure.
Thanks for the tips! I will be doing this very soon :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I really like Eastwood extreme chassis black, seems to be the most durable rattle can paint I've used.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I painted the ZJ stuff I got when brand new with Tremclad, gave it two nice coats. It barely lasted one winter, dang salt :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I painted the ZJ stuff I got when brand new with Tremclad, gave it two nice coats. It barely lasted one winter, dang salt :(
What state do you live in? I have "salted" Jeep my self. Every year she is getting worse and it is time to put that to an end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts