Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i did this a while ago and thought I'd share what I did.
IMG_20151224_082315480_HDR.jpg
First I started with the halfway point of the cord and started wrapping it around the middle of the top section of the steering wheel; I did this to end up with the knot at the end being right at the bottom of the steering wheel.

Once I got to the first column I then began twisting my hands around the wrapped cord towards the end so that it got nice and tight. When I was satisfied with it not slipping I tied it off temporarily to my shifter to keep tension on the cord, then went back to the top middle and went the other way to the other side column repeating what I just did.

I criss crossed over the column looping once behind it straight up to keep the number of crosses even, probably not necessary but my ocd wouldn’t let me go on otherwise. Tie it off to something to hold tension and repeat on the other side in the same manner.
IMG_20151224_075505345.jpg
Do the bottom quarter just like the top and again tie off temporarily and you guessed it, repeat for the other side.

The bottom was tricky on getting the knot where I wouldn’t hit it while driving but the paracord slid nicely between the columns letting me have the knot raised from the rim of the steering wheel.
IMG_20151224_075446016.jpg
IMG_20151224_075618754.jpg

I had to play with it a bunch to get things just right but then I tied it off and cut it and scorched the knot with a lighter.(careful not to scorch the steering wheel, I turned it upside down to do this part)
IMG_20151224_075603928.jpg
After driving for 2 months with it on I still love it, it feels great in my hand, is nice and tight, and is so much more durable than slip on covers I was looking at getting.

I hope this helps anyone who thinks they might want to try to do this.
Happy Jeeping

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Nice job wrapping the steering wheel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Skunk, thanks for sharing that. It is very intricateand looks great. Do you remember what color/style paracord you used? I like the way the pattern sync's up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skunk, thanks for sharing that. It is very intricateand looks great. Do you remember what color/style paracord you used? I like the way the pattern sync's up.
No problem, I'm happy to help. I used what I think was called neon green and black zombie.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just found this thread... Love it!
Great bit of work Op.
Practical in more than one way too!
Thanks man, and talk about durable, 2 years later it's still in great condition other than the dirt and grease. I've never had a wheel cover last more than a few months

1 - 10 of 10 Posts