Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Jeep: 2004 Unlimited 4.0L Auto

The Problem:
All of a sudden a couple weeks ago I started having a starting problem after my Jeep sits over night. It's not completely dead but barely cranks over and may or may not start.

What I have found:
I have a 68 Milliamp draw in the system and when I pull the EATX fuse in the power distribution box the draw drops to 8 milliamps. If I leave a trickle changer on the jeep it fires right up.

Questions?

What does the EATX circuit do? What does it control?

Anyone ever had issues with this system?

I tried talking to the local Dodge/Jeep dealer and lets say they were less then helpful, more interested a asking the cashier why she was not at last nights party.

Any information would be great. Thanks for the help.

-Shanon

·
Knows a couple things...
50,157 Posts
There is always a small draw on the battery, from both the engine computer and the radio.

Your battery may just be going bad, I'd have it "load tested" to see what its true health is. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry left that out. Had the battery tested after the most recent dead battery. They tested it, charged it, and tested it again. They told me it was good.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to test the whole system, recheck battery and see what happens.

·
Registered
'08 Rubi / '98 TJ / '05 Tacoma
3,100 Posts
One possible source of an additional parasitic draw could be the alternator. They'll draw more when a diode (rectifier) goes bad.
X2..more likely a bad alternator first, bad battery 2nd. Clean/tightened the terminals and check the voltage with engine off vs engine running. With it running, voltage should be in the 13.5v range.+-3. I could be wrong but i think the Eatx relay only pertains to auto transmission equipped vehicles. If i remember correctly ,i think it controls power to the trans solenoid.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe its is number 5(20A-blue). I will double check. The fuse is marked EATX and there is also a relay "EATX Relay" that is in the location that is marked "Transmission Control Relay" on the diagram above.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Correct you are, that is the fuse for the Transmission control relay which provides power to the transmission module (see attached diagrams). As you can see for the schematic I've attached, there are a good number of components branching off of the AT control module.

Does pulling any other fuses or relays reduce the draw?
How long did you wait after turning the key off to check for draw (some vehicles take as long as 45 minutes to go into 'sleep' mode)?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I'm going to go with bad battery. I know you said it tested good, but more often then not those test aren't accurate. The reason I say bad battery is because 68 mA isn't even close to enough to drain a car battery overnight.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the battery retested again last night and drum roll please, it tested bad. I am putting in a new one tonight. We will see what happens. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.