Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!!
So maybe you guys can help me out a bit here. So I have a 95 YJ with a 2.5 in it. It has 32" tires on JK rims and the axle was re-geared. I have the AX-5 tranny with a new T Case. My entire brake system is new, minus the pads. The clutch system has been redone recently, along with a new alternator and all fluids are changed. I do all of the maintenance and keep up on it very nicely. She was very well taken care of before me and I try to do the same.

So onto the issue, my parents want me to get rid of it and get a newer one. Their only argument is its old and will break down.

Personally I like the YJ because I can do work on it and its so simple. My only wish was that I had a 4.0 instead of the 2.5

So any and all advice from my fellow Jeepers would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I kinda felt that way when I let my son borrow my YJ while I was car shopping for him ( took over a year ), my concern was he drove the thing like a maniac and it wasn't the safest thing to get into an accident with. How about getting a newer jeep and keep the YJ as a hobby vehicle. I owned a '13 JK along with my YJ and loved them both. The old jeep was more fun to drive and the new jeep was nice to drive.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
They are right, it will break. Now the question is, what's wrong with that? Having an older jeep that is easy to work on, and easy to find parts for, is a great learning experience. As long as you try to do all the work yourself, I think it's a great vehicle for a young man or girl to learn with and keep busy with. The fact that they don't go all that fast is a bonus for us parents who worry about our kids driving habits. I wish I would have taught my sons more about working on cars, I wouldn't be getting calls all the time saying " hey dad, can you come over and look at my car".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kinda felt that way when I let my son borrow my YJ while I was car shopping for him ( took over a year ), my concern was he drove the thing like a maniac and it wasn't the safest thing to get into an accident with. How about getting a newer jeep and keep the YJ as a hobby vehicle. I owned a '13 JK along with my YJ and loved them both. The old jeep was more fun to drive and the new jeep was nice to drive.
I tried asking them if I could keep my YJ and get a newer one, they didn't like the idea. But in all honesty its hard to sell my Jeep, I tried last summer because they made me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are right, it will break. Now the question is, what's wrong with that? Having an older jeep that is easy to work on, and easy to find parts for, is a great learning experience. As long as you try to do all the work yourself, I think it's a great vehicle for a young man or girl to learn with and keep busy with. The fact that they don't go all that fast is a bonus for us parents who worry about our kids driving habits. I wish I would have taught my sons more about working on cars, I wouldn't be getting calls all the time saying " hey dad, can you come over and look at my car".
I am aware it will break down, I mean what car doesn't? I love the fact I can do my own work on it and learn how to take care of my car and it saves me a tin of money too.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Get AAA if it'll make then feel better.

Newer jeeps aren't necessarily better. I had to spend several hundred every year or two on my TJ that was only a year old when I got it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I do agree that its a good first vehicle. But as far as parents only thing you can do is move out or listen... maybe tell them you will park it and work on and drive some lame ass jap junk for two years then get the yj back when your ready.. approach it as an adult and try bartering give and take.. like maybe weekend only

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get AAA if it'll make then feel better.

Newer jeeps aren't necessarily better. I had to spend several hundred every year or two on my TJ that was only a year old when I got it.
I should have AAA anyways, just never got around to it and I do agree that newer isn't always better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do agree that its a good first vehicle. But as far as parents only thing you can do is move out or listen... maybe tell them you will park it and work on and drive some lame ass jap junk for two years then get the yj back when your ready.. approach it as an adult and try bartering give and take.. like maybe weekend only
You make some good points, and I will have to do some dealing with them. However I dont live at home so the car is down here with me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You make some good points, and I will have to do some dealing with them. However I dont live at home so the car is down here with me.
You don't live at home with them?

Ask them to buy you a new car and pay your insurance. And pay your rent and electric bill. Maybe they can chip in for some food.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I don't understand this at all.

Their only argument is that it is old and WILL break down?

Has it been a problem vehicle recently?

Do you live in a situation where a breakdown would be detrimental to your school or work schedule?

Do you live in a situation where a breakdown might be a safety issue for you?

If not, an older vehicle in reasonable condition is almost ALWAYS cheaper to run than a newer one.

I have 3 sons driving right now, 2 in college and 1 in high school. Only one is in a newer vehicle, but that is because he has a decent job that demands reliability.

The other two are in a '88xj and a '91yj each pushing 200k miles. Do they break down? Yes. Are they stuck without a vehicle for a day or two occasionally? Yes. But it's still WAY cheaper than the cheapest new car out there. And it builds character.

Note: my sons girlfriend bought a cheap new car last year (she needed reliability) last year they went on a 2,000 mile 10 day road camping trip. They took his 26 year old XJ over her brand new car.

And finally - even a cheap brand new car will start to have some little issues after a couple years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts