Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New to this forum as I just bought a 2010 Wrangler I plan to drive a lot to keep from putting too many miles on my truck. My wrangler is a V-6, 6 speed with 105K on it.. Just replaced rear calipers, rotors, parking brake shoes and rear hoses. My parking brake doesn't hold for squat. The cable is in good shape. If I adjust the park brake shoes anymore they will start to drag.

My problem is my driveway is 13 degrees, It's steep. It's where this Jeep needs to sit and not move. Keeping it in gear and the parking brake on does not hold it all.

My question is, has anyone tried a hydraulic line lock on their Jeep to use as a parking brake. Jegs has one for under $30.00. My worry is that it might mess with the ABS system or the hill assist. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this. My research tells me this should work like a charm for holding on a hill. Just looking for some expertise.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performa...content=Brakes

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I did my rear brakes a few months ago I had issues too with the parking brake not holding. What is did was disassemble the rear brake again down to where I could get at the shoes. I used some emery cloth and bevelled just the outer most edge of the shoes, then adjusted them up to the point I couldn't get the rotor on, then backed off until it was tight going on. Reassembled everything and tried it out. Can only pull the handle to 4 clicks now (5 if I really yank it) and it holds steady on hills just fine

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
there is a adjustment gear in the parking brake brake shoe assembly. Lots of youtube video's on how to adjust it.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Hello all. New to this forum as I just bought a 2010 Wrangler I plan to drive a lot to keep from putting too many miles on my truck. My wrangler is a V-6, 6 speed with 105K on it.. Just replaced rear calipers, rotors, parking brake shoes and rear hoses. My parking brake doesn't hold for squat. The cable is in good shape. If I adjust the park brake shoes anymore they will start to drag.

My problem is my driveway is 13 degrees, It's steep. It's where this Jeep needs to sit and not move. Keeping it in gear and the parking brake on does not hold it all.

My question is, has anyone tried a hydraulic line lock on their Jeep to use as a parking brake. Jegs has one for under $30.00. My worry is that it might mess with the ABS system or the hill assist. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this. My research tells me this should work like a charm for holding on a hill. Just looking for some expertise.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performa...content=Brakes

Welcome to the forum!
Yes, what they ^^^ all said previously.
:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. The parking brake works and will hold on slight inclines so I'm not worried about getting the state inspection. If I adjust it any tighter it will start to drag too much. I have not tried putting it in 4L. That might be worth a try. At least it might take longer for my JK to find the bottom of the driveway.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Also check the actual movement of the shoes with the rotors off. I just had 4 hours of shop time to have the expanders removed, cleaned, lubed, and replaced. The right rear shoes didn't move at all with the handle pull. Now I don't even worry about how far I pull the handle because the holding power is awesome again.. BTW it is a 2007

·
Registered
14 Posts
parking brake advice

there is a know issue with the parking brake handle spring/clutch...below is a good video that helped me understand the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ag5OO4d_B0
I just spent a small fortune rebuilding my parking brakes on my 2012 Jeep JK. The single lead cable that winds into the spring loaded hand pull, had broken. You cannot buy just that little piece of cable, you have to buy the pull brake assembly. It is cocked when you receive it and AFTER you bolt it down and
:) hook it to the twin cable yoke, then you pull the clip and bam, it releases and is ready to go. The spring loading features involve two springs and can give you a false sense of having the brake pulled tight. The videos are helpful that show how to install the replacement assembly, costs $60-$100 or so. But works like new.:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes!!!

volswagn, Thank you! My parking brake has been shit since I bought my used 2012. After watching your videos, I've started gently pumping the handle up and down to tighten up the cables before I set the parking brake. It works!

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
volswagn, Thank you! My parking brake has been shit since I bought my used 2012. After watching your videos, I've started gently pumping the handle up and down to tighten up the cables before I set the parking brake. It works!
This is exactly what I do. It works great.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The parking brakes on the JK are a joke. I'd be chalking yours tires each time I park on that angle.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So today I pushed the release button first before lifting up on the brake handle, and it locked up on the first pump. Usually it takes multiple pumps to get the brake to engage without pushing the release button first. Maybe I was just lucky, but I will continue this practice until it doesn't work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts