Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parkerizing, bonderizing, phosphating, or phosphatizing is a method of protecting a steel surface from corrosion and increasing its resistance to wear through the application of an electrochemical phosphate conversion coating. Parkerizing is usually considered to be an improved zinc or manganese phosphating process, and not to be an improved iron phosphating process, although some use the term parkerizing as a generic term for applying phosphating (or phosphatizing) coatings that does include the iron phosphating process.
Parkerizing is commonly used on firearms as a more effective alternative to bluing, which is another electrochemical conversion coating that was developed earlier. It's also used extensively on automobiles to protect unfinished metal parts from corrosion.
The Parkerizing process cannot be used on non-ferrous metals such as aluminum, brass, or copper. It similarly cannot be applied to steels containing a large amount of nickel, or on stainless steel. Passivation can be used for protecting other metals.

So I am big into motorcycles, including choppers, bobbers and rat bikes. One thing wee commonly do is whats called Parkerizing or on metals that cant be parkerized we use passivation. I was wondering if anybody has ever tried this on a winch cable. Besides being a really cool look, it's very useful to protect the metal from corrosion.
I ask because a semi rusty winch cable just look like garbage and rust weakens it. I know how to do it at home in 5 gallon buckets and would actually do it in larger batches if need be. What are your thoughts on this and the application i would like to use it for?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Most likely, for the time and money you'll put into this process, you could just buy an all around better synthetic winch line.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Buy rope instead and save yourself the trouble.:thumb:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to buy rope but I have the chemicals for parkerizing and not so much the money for rope at this point. Plus I have a warn 8274 and thats 150 ft of cable i havent been able to find a 150 foot rope yet.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,124 Posts
I agree on the recommendation to simply go with a synthetic but nevertheless, it'd be cool to see what happens after parkerizing a wire rope. However, a wire rope is galvanized. Would that prevent it from being parkerized? Which by the way is a well known very cool process for gun parts!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too am interested in what it would do, I may have to run a test to see what happens first, I'll do some more research into it I just thought it was a cool idea when I was looking at a set of parkerized foot pegs for my bike.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would personally not apply any corrosive chemicals to a wire rope where there are lots of interior wire strand surfaces that would retain those chemicals and where hidden corrosion would lurk.

If you want a black rope, buy synthetic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts