Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DUMB QUESTION AHEAD - PROCEED WITH CAUTION..

:hide:

In all seriousness, how do you know if you need to "adjust your parking brake for vehicles equipped with 4 wheel disc brakes (if necessary)."

I'm coming up on 20K miles on my 2014 JKU and the above is listed as one of the things listed on the maintenance schedule.

I've never had any issues with it. Something I need to worry about? How do I check it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Does it hold your vehicle in place? If it does, I wouldn't mess with it.

If it doesn't, or if you have to pull the handle up so hard that you're afraid you're going to break it off, then you may need to adjust it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. That's what I figured.

Appreciate the response.

·
Registered
316 Posts
To adjust. You need to remove the rear rotors. Three rear rotors double as a drum for the parking brake. They are hard to get off sometimes, pry and thump work a hammer and they will eventually pop off, just be careful not to bend the springs. You have to remove the caliper brackets as well to get the rotor off, 18mm wrench, not socket unless it's lowpro, unless you feel like removing your sway bar links, it's tight there but you'll see when you get in there. Once you get the rotor off it'll all be in there, parking brakes should auto adjust as you drive but I would recommend taking them apart and greasing every contact point so they don't seize up. some needle nose pliers and some hook pics will help getting the springs off and on. I took one of mine partially apart yesterday, started raining so I buttoned it back up but if you want pics let me know, I plan on pulling them apart either today or tomorrow, weather permitting.
Good luck, hope this helps

·
Registered
316 Posts
Does it hold your vehicle in place? If it does, I wouldn't mess with it.

If it doesn't, or if you have to pull the handle up so hard that you're afraid you're going to break it off, then you may need to adjust it.
Servicing them before they need it makes them never need it.. preventative maintenance is a good thing

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took one of mine partially apart yesterday, started raining so I buttoned it back up but if you want pics let me know, I plan on pulling them apart either today or tomorrow, weather permitting.
Good luck, hope this helps
If you're going to pull everything apart in the next few days anyway, I'd appreciate it if you could take some pics.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts