Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys have to really yank up on your parking brake to get it to hold?

We have a 2012 JKU Auto and my wife can't even pull it up hard enough to hold on a slight incline. I have to give it a pretty good tug myself. We do leave in in Park but it should hold the Jeep in neutral like every other rig I've ever had.

It's going in for an oil change next week and I'll see if they can adjust it.

Just turned over 35,000 kilometers (about 22,000 miles for you southern folks)
No ticking, no trouble codes, no leaks, original windshield etc.
So far, so good.

Had the odd puff of blue on initial start up a couple of times and that's got me a bit concerned. We are documenting that with the service department, just in case it's the start of the dreaded head problem.

Mileage sucks though. Averages 15.6 in the USA mode.

We can change the display to litres per 100 kilometers but I still can't get my head around that so I always leave it in USA mode. I was schooled using the old system (your system)

Why we changed, I will never know!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
since i put the 35"s on it, somewhat. i broke a brake line in KY last weekend and drove it off the trail/home (about an hours drive) with squishy front brakes and riding the parking brake, which im sure didnt help either. just ask the dealership to adjust them for you. there is a star wheel inside the hat of the rear rotors thats used to adjust the parking brake by pushing the shoes out/closer to the rotor.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Mine quit working well and I took it in for a check. My dealer said that the parking brake was only warrantied for 12 months or 12k miles, or something like that. I think they go out of adjustment really easy. They wanted to charge me $100 to fix it. I said uh, no thanks.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
3 or 4 clicks is all it takes to hold my 10 Rubicon with a manual. Have the dealer take care of it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have an 09 and it too needs to be pulled all the way up. I took it to the dealer and seemed to "fix" it. Like everyone says, they wear out quickly and need adjustments frequently. It'a known "issue" but not a "free" fix from the dealer.

·
Registered
265 Posts

We have a 2012 JKU Auto and my wife can't even pull it up hard enough to hold on a slight incline. I have to give it a pretty good tug myself. We do leave in in Park but it should hold the Jeep in neutral like every other rig I've ever had.

It's going in for an oil change next week and I'll see if they can adjust it.

Just turned over 35,000 kilometers (about 22,000 miles for you southern folks)
No ticking, no trouble codes, no leaks, original windshield etc.
So far, so good.

Had the odd puff of blue on initial start up a couple of times and that's got me a bit concerned. We are documenting that with the service department, just in case it's the start of the dreaded head problem.

Mileage sucks though. Averages 15.6 in the USA mode.

We can change the display to litres per 100 kilometers but I still can't get my head around that so I always leave it in USA mode. I was schooled using the old system (your system)

Why we changed, I will never know!!
I had the exact same problem as you on my 2012. Didn't matter how hard I pulled on it it hardly worked. Took it to the dealer thinking it was just in need of a cable adjustment. Nope. The entire parking brake lever needed to be replaced. Got it replaced last Friday. All under warranty along with the hose recall that needed to be done. The worn parking brake lever is very common on the 2012's

·
Registered
327 Posts
Had this problem too on my '12. Had it tightened up (cost me $50 while some other work was being done), now it is 3-4 clicks max.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Had this problem too on my '12. Had it tightened up (cost me $50 while some other work was being done), now it is 3-4 clicks max.
I had asked that they tightened mine up thinking that's all it was. Dealer told me it was maxed out and lever needed to be replaced. Didn't cost me anything under warranty so I didn't tell them not to change it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mine is inconsistent. Some days I pull it up half way and it holds. Others it has to go all the way to the top. I don't understand it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts