Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that they wanted to keep you from running down your battery but sometimes I need my parking lights to stay on longer than 10 minutes. Anyone know how to make that happen?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Not that I know of but if you need your lights on for that length of time either use your flashers or install aftermarket lights wired directly to the battery.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not that I know of but if you need your lights on for that length of time either use your flashers or install aftermarket lights wired directly to the battery.
Those would also be my suggestions, but you obvioisly run a huge risk of draining your battery. Why would you need them on so long?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in the city and have to park in front of my building sometimes when I need to run upstairs. I might be parked for 20 minutes or so. Hazards are too flashy and create too much attention. Don't need the police keeping track of how long I'm parked outside.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Try turning off the Jeep and while the Jeep is off, turn on the lights.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
My logic is the same as the auto headlights. Have you ever turned off your headlights after you shut off your Jeep? The lights will stay on for a short time. If you turn the lights off before shutting off, they stay off.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Doesnt matter what order you do it in. Once the key is removed the Jeep will kill all power to the lights after 5 or 10 minutes to prevent a dead battery.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I live in the city and have to park in front of my building sometimes when I need to run upstairs. I might be parked for 20 minutes or so. Hazards are too flashy and create too much attention. Don't need the police keeping track of how long I'm parked outside.
1) You're a double parker and flashing lights are too flashy drawing attention so the running lights are to keep other cars from hitting you?

2) You're a double parker asking us to help you get away with it?

You don't need flashing lights to draw attention when you own a jeep.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks brwolfjr. Yella, Na, I do not double park. There is a space in front of the building for unloading and loading. The building does not have a problem if while I'm out, I need to park out front for a few minutes. However cops might think differently. It's complicated really. Maybe I'm having a party and I want my parking lights on for mood lighting. Doesn't really matter why I need them to stay on, I'd just prefer to have the option to be able to keep them on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a similiar problem; six vehicles but the driveway is two cars wide. I move one or two to the street to get the one I need out and the only way to keep the lights on is to keep the engine running. I asked about this and was told that Jeeps and cars don't have "parking lights." They have "clearance lights." I guess I must be an Old Fart.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, clearance lights huh? You think they could of at least given you an option in the settings to be able to leave them on. It just seems so silly that you can't leave your "clearance lights" on. It would tak hours and hours to run down your battery with those.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, and since I'm switching over to led lamps, it would probably take weeks. I wonder if a "Parking Light" option might be possible for Flashpaq or some other tuner.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
No tuners that I'm aware of can adjust the time until the jeep cuts the power. It has always been 10 minutes in JK's. The only way to do it would be a separate circuit. Do you even need your parking lights on? Can you just turn them off? Technically lifhts on or off, if the driver isn't in his seat you're parked and they can ticket you. Even if you have your hazards on. Unfortunately that's not a shield from tickets.

If it's ok with your building manager/landlord you could always get a note from him and fight a ticket in court if needed

·
Registered
772 Posts
3) You're a loading zone parker asking us to help you get away with it?

LOL

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Yeah, and since I'm switching over to led lamps, it would probably take weeks. I wonder if a "Parking Light" option might be possible for Flashpaq or some other tuner.
If you swap over to LED's it's possible the lights won't time out due to the low voltage that they draw. I have no basis for this hypothesis, but it sounds good! LOL We need a guinea pig! :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3) You're a loading zone parker asking us to help you get away with it?

LOL
Nope, not asking for you to help me get away with parking somewhere where it's not an issue. I just prefer to have my parking lights on. But forget that situation, how about a new situation for you. So there I am in the woods getting busy with a girl in the backseat. She asks me to turn on my parking lights because she would like some mood lighting. Or maybe she wants to get busy outside but wants me to leave the headlights on so we can see. We don't want to be in the middle of doing it and the lights go out and then we have to stumble around to get back to the car. And before you comment about me running out my battery, I've got a backup battery in this situation. I've always had cars that let me control my lights, I want control of my parking lights for many different reasons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts