Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 pinion planetary help

Can anyone in the know confirm this is the right part number for the 6 gear planetary for my 2006 LJ's, np231??. #17869??

TIA !

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
I got mine out of a Chevy 242 case
Just have to make sure you get one with newer tooth profile

Many dodge 231hd (found In Durango) have a four pinion cage that can be used

Except for the terra-low stepped pinion gears I have never seen a failure of the stock 3 pinion setup

The wider chain and sprockets from a dodge 231hd case is a more useful upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
like said above there are 2 different cuts early and late and all TJ's used the late cut. They are easy to find i bought mine out of a Chevy NP241 for $30 off ebay.

If you want to do the wide chain swap you can use sprockets from a NP233 and GM NP231 from an S10. You can tell from pictures of the sprocket is a wide chain or not. Some of the later NP233's from dodges have a wide bearing on the front output and will not work with a jeep np231. You can get a new wide Borg Warner chain for $30 off ebay as well. I got a 6 pinion plantary and wide chain swap done for about $80 total using parts sourced from ebay.

Reactions: OldPueblo

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
like said above there are 2 different cuts early and late and all TJ's used the late cut. They are easy to find i bought mine out of a Chevy NP241 for $30 off ebay.

If you want to do the wide chain swap you can use sprockets from a NP233 and GM NP231 from an S10. You can tell from pictures of the sprocket is a wide chain or not. Some of the later NP233's from dodges have a wide bearing on the front output and will not work with a jeep np231. You can get a new wide Borg Warner chain for $30 off ebay as well. I got a 6 pinion plantary and wide chain swap done for about $80 total using parts sourced from ebay.
I bought the wide chain kit from JB Conversions with my SS SYE, and I am looking to source the planetary from ebay or the like, but I'm just trying to get confirmation that the part number I listed is the correct part for my 2006 LJ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts