Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Wrangler Sahara with no owners Manuel, the light on the dash says part time when I put it into four wheel drive. Am I missing something, how do you get it into full time four wheel drive?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Part Time is a term indicating that the 4x4 system may only be used part of the time. It should not be used on non lose surfaces i.e. dry pavement. The front and rear axles are locked together and not allowed to turn at different speeds.

Full Time may be used 24/7 on all surfaces. A center differential allows for differing axle speeds

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Part Time is a term indicating that the 4x4 system may only be used part of the time. It should not be used on non lose surfaces i.e. dry pavement. The front and rear axles are locked together and not allowed to turn at different speeds.

Full Time may be used 24/7 on all surfaces. A center differential allows for differing axle speeds
To add, TJs did not come with full time 4wd. There is a spot in the dash for it only because the same gauge cluster was used in other vehicles that did have full time 4wd.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wranglers don't have full time 4wd. Ours is a robust system that locks the front wheels to the back via the transfer case. This means that both a font wheel and a back wheel must turn. The system can bind up however on pavement as invariably one wheel will make more revolutions than the other due to turns. This is not an issue off road where tire slippage can prevent bind.

Ultimately its only in these low traction or low speed off road situations that you want to use your 4wd, and not on the road. So you should only switch into 4wd when needed or "part of the time" of your total driving experience.

Edit: guess I type slow

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, this is my first newer jeep since I let go of
My Willis years ago. Looks like there have been some changes.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Along those lines I would like to find out why my part time 4wd light does not come on when in 4hi or 4lo. I know for certain that the 4wd is engaging just no light on the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts