Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this past weekend at Rocktoberfest some of my gauges stopped working. Specifically all of them except the speedometer and clock. They do not move at all.

In the center cluster I thought maybe the plug came disconnected but then realized the clock still works so that couldnt be it (I checked anyway and all looks good)

Does anyone know what can cause these gauges to stop working? I checked under the dash and cant find any wires disconnected, and I dont think there would be a fuse? Maybe a ground or power wire? Where would that be?

Its an 88 four cylinder manual. I think they stopped working after I came over a hill and almost got stuck in a mud pit if that means anything

·
Registered
70 Posts
7 times out of 10 it's corrosion mine did something similar, the temp., and fuel guages weren't working when I bought it. I checkrd the curcuit board and sure enough it was corroded, and now no mre problems.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Mine was mostly corrosion, which will change the resistance of the connection which will change what the gauge thinks it sees.

I pulled out and the connectors and shined them up with #0000 Steel wool also hit the copper on the flexible board where the connector plug through.

The Oil gauge going to full was a bad sending unit on mine.

My fuel gauge was reading high and was empty at a half tank until the steel wool clean up.
My Voltmeter read low before the steel wool clean up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.