Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In anticipation of my JKUR's arrival I am starting to plan for my first bit of customization which will be replacing the 130 radio with a Pioneer 4100nex.

I have searched and found some helpful threads regarding the 4100 but I can't seem to find a definitive parts list for my application. Specifically, a JK that is NOT equipped with the connectivity group but with the volume controls on the steering wheel retained.

Could someone provide me with an entire list of things needed to get my radio up and running? A link to a thread with the answer would be great too. Like I said, I have searched extensively and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
475 Posts
In anticipation of my JKUR's arrival I am starting to plan for my first bit of customization which will be replacing the 130 radio with a Pioneer 4100nex.

I have searched and found some helpful threads regarding the 4100 but I can't seem to find a definitive parts list for my application. Specifically, a JK that is NOT equipped with the connectivity group but with the volume controls on the steering wheel retained.

Could someone provide me with an entire list of things needed to get my radio up and running? A link to a thread with the answer would be great too. Like I said, I have searched extensively and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Try this in case something was missed. They'll show you everything you need to do that install...

Pioneer AVH-4100NEX DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
236 Posts
Check out Crutchfield, they have everything you need. Great company.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So with these parts is their any soldering involved. I must confess, in my 40 years on this planet I've never soldered anything. :jawdrop:

The more plug and play this is, the better...

·
Registered
625 Posts
So with these parts is their any soldering involved. I must confess, in my 40 years on this planet I've never soldered anything.
You have to attach the wires from the Pioneer HU to those of the PAC harness. While soldering is preferable you can always use crimp caps to make the connections. Twist the exposed ends of two wires together, shove into the crimp cap, and then crimp. Many car stereo stores use crimp caps.

The above can be done on a work bench or even your kitchen table. When it comes time for the actual install, the PAC harness itself IS plug and play with the Jeep's harness.

Amazon.com: Install Bay CCL1614 Crimp Cap Nylon Connector 16/14 Gauge Long Neck -100-Pack: Car Electronics

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You need to also plan where you plan to run the USB extension. The unit comes with one, but I went ahead and had two run plus the HDMI.

Pioneer makes a connector that has a USB and HDMI in one, but it wasn't long enough for where I wanted and ended up having to use an extension on that.

USB 1 is for iOS, USB 2 is for Android. I believe u need USB 1 for FW updates. And u will need HDMI if u want video.

I have iPhone but ran everything "just in case". And have used the HDMI a couple times (tho last time I got an error as the unit needs a FW update).

But all three plug in, in the rear.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Did you run the usbs and hdmi to a clean end point or leave them hanging somewhere? Curious but would like a nice endpoint. I thought I remember seeing someone had them going into an aftermarket tray or something on dash.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The 4200 will be here in a few weeks...
However the Kenwood DDX9903S will be a much better option having the capacitive touch screen which will be important for the daytime driving with the top off. The 4200 will not have this option...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Did you run the usbs and hdmi to a clean end point or leave them hanging somewhere? Curious but would like a nice endpoint. I thought I remember seeing someone had them going into an aftermarket tray or something on dash.
Well you bring up a good point,

Some just run it to their glove box. Others just up between the passenger seat and console.

I had them run mine into my console. They left them "hanging" in the center console, which is not a big deal but I might go back and add flush mount in the console box.

I like them in the console as then I can leave my phone in there or I have a long enough cord leave phone the passenger seat or I have a mount on the dash.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The 4200 will be here in a few weeks... However the Kenwood DDX9903S will be a much better option having the capacitive touch screen which will be important for the daytime driving with the top off. The 4200 will not have this option...
Why do you say the sensitivity of the touch screen would be a factor with the top off? The 4100 has a tilt screen and I've never had an issue in bright sun light. And while it is a resistive touch it works well. Very well. Even for scrolling. And if ur running top down, I would think the detachable faceplate would be more a benefit (that the Kenwood doesn't appear to have) than a slightly more sensitive touch screen. Besides dual zone entertainment what does the 4200 have over the 4100? The 4100 is a great price right now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I used this and pulled out the round 12v adapter at the bottom right of the center dash. It looks clean and professional and is convieniently located. I have the Kenwood DDX9902s

·
Registered
475 Posts
So with these parts is their any soldering involved. I must confess, in my 40 years on this planet I've never soldered anything. :jawdrop:

Try these.... Posi-connectors. They're awesome, and hold tightly. No need to solder when you can use these. They're quicker too. :) They come in all sizes for small wiring. I can attest to how good they hold.

connectors at Crutchfield.com

1 - 20 of 76 Posts