Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I went to my Jeep scrapper and picked up a new courtesy light for under the dash because the original was nowhere to be found. In wiring it, I found that the wires weren't long enough, so I bypassed the harnesses, cut them off either side, and hardwired the power and ground. The light gets power now, however it doesn't turn off! Dimmer switch, ignition, etc. has no effect on it. Did cutting the harness out 86 the whole set? Need this fixed!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The courtesy lights work off a ground switch not power. It sounds like you ran power to it and a permanant ground. You need to fix it so it's not grounded when the door is closed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like you ran power to it and a permanant ground.
That I did - right to the body. Oops. My courtesy lights only operate via the dimmer though. They don't turn on when the doors are open. To get it to operate with the dimmer (and all my other lights) do I just wire it into the dimmer?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yes you can get your power from the dimmer, but you'll still need to remove the ground from the body. The ground needs to come from the ground wire on the door switch. Another words, there is always power to the light, it just won't come on till the ground is complete by opening the door. The little plunger at the door is actually the ground connect/disconnect.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
You need to wire it back up the way it was. The lights have power to them at all times, but only receive ground from three sources. The dimmer "on" position, the right door jamb switch, or left door jamb switch.

The power comes from the S202 connector behind the dimmer switch. Two 18ga pink wires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just had a closer look at these door jamb switches and it turns out the PO ripped them out. How do I wire this one last light into the dimmer switch?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts