Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger door lock will not disengage - I have pulled the door panel to disconnect the rods to the interior rocker & key cylinder to try & actuate it by hand but no luck. It feels like it is binding up in the door latch assembly. Anyone else have this issue? How to replace & where to get the parts? Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We had that happen on our '04 driver's door. I ended up spray lubing the heck out of the worn latch mechanism from the inside and it eventually opened (open the window and try using both the inside and outside door latches, either individually, or together). Some people say that is enough and go about their day, but that only lasted a week or so with ours. I've heard of some that are able to manipulate/pry the mechanism enough from the inside to get it to open. Once open, don't close it again until you remove the latch mechanism (I believe that the mechanism bolts can only be accessed and removed once the door is open). You can order aftermarket replacements online for $80 or so. I'm going to have to replace the passenger door mechanism soon too as it won't open if the sun has been beating on it and heats it up. Once it cools, it opens normally.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FIXED! And I did not have to cut the striker loop. Shout out to Jody at Carolina 4x4 in Hamer, SC. He was able to find the sweet spot in the latch mechanism & get it open. After some additional lubing of the latch, all is well. I did buy a latch just in case.

·
Premium Member
7,260 Posts
Be cautious when buying replacement door latches and inside handles. From '97 to '02 they lock differently than the '03 to '06.

On the inside handle the early years lock by rotating the lock lever forward (says lock on the front of the toggle). For '03 to '06 they lock by rotating the lock lever to the rear (says lock on the back panel of the toggle).

The 8 digits of the part numbers for the latch mechanisms for both series is the same with the two alpha for the early years AE and the later years AJ. They are not the same latches. If you have to get one vs the other, the inside locking lever will work backwards (and most likely the locking action of the key as well.

Here is another discussion about the latches and interior handles.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/interior-door-locks-2387673.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts