Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 99 TJ Sahara. I am old. My friends & dog are old. They have tough time getting into rear seat area. Is the passenger seat designed to flip forward or fold down. Had a Datsun pick up that the passenger seat flipped & folded and easy access to jump seats.
If this seat cannot flip/fold, can I buy a replacement that will do this?

Also interested in any "home-made" alterations that fix this.
Thank you

·
Registered
129 Posts
The back will fold forward, but they are also designed to flip up and hug the dash to make entry and exit easier. It is common for the cable to break and the flip/tumble portion of the movement won’t work anymore. You have to remove the seat and once it’s upside down you will see the problem. I was able to fix mine with a little ingenuity and searching on here. If it wasn’t years ago, I would have a bit more memory of the details.

·
Registered
269 Posts
There is also a lever under the seat that will manually work the seat tumble part. It's a slightly arced upside down, like a frown, piece of metal about 1" or so square. When reaching in from the passenger side, it is on the rail against the console under the seat. I have the same issue as you and have yet to fix it. You can buy the cable for about $75 if i recall. Some people have made a new one with a bicycle cable and some crimping.

Here are some pix and a very good write-up:
https://www.4x4xplor.com/seattrack.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for your advise. Issue now solved!!

Am glad to be a part of helpful Jeeper People.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts