Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 TJ - The passenger seat cable you pull on near the top of the seat to get it to move forward quickly to get in the back is broken off. Is there another way to trigger what it does?

A latch on the bottom back, folds the seat forward. I can grab the bar under the front to slide the seat forward. However, it looks like the seat should also tilt up towards the front, but it won't budge. I figure there must be a latch or trigger somewhere controlling this, but I can't find it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Neither of my cables have ever worked and I’ve been way to lazy to open the seat and replace them. There’s a lever under the seat that will allow it to tilt. I could describe how to find it, but I usually just end up feeling around for it and eventually: success!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Knowing my luck, the mechanism is rusted in place and wouldn't move even if I found it. I find it's better know if something is supposed to move, before trying to force it to move...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was like that when I got it, so I can't say if the cable ever worked in recent years.

Thank you for the picture. I'm going to go out and feel around for that right now!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first picture I'm trying to show my latch, which is on the front/console side of the passenger seat. There is no cable, and I can't begin to picture where the cable would come from, as it needs quite a bit of play to move that latch far enough.

The second picture is unfortunately 180 degrees off. See that rusty vertical section? That has a cable attached to it and I think it's suppose to pull on that when the seat back is tilted forward. It allows the seat to then slide forward. It then stops, exactly at my switch which is angled to match that rusty metal piece. So if that rusty bit were about 1" maybe less, forward and you had some velocity sliding the seat, it looks like it should hit the switch and shove it down, which would release the seat to tilt up/forward. I'm wondering if it got bent backwards and therefore doesn't work as designed. Some of the seat looks new, while other parts look rusty and old.

Sadly the cable to pull that rusty part, while attached, goes up into the seat out of sight, and I have no clue where it is supposed to come out, or what it should be attached to.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
seat riser.JPG

In this picture I colored in the rusty part red and the switch green. The only cable shown, runs from the top of the seat down to #5. That's all it does. The other cable goes somewhere else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts