Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I extended my axle breather tubes this morning. When I looked at the TC tube I saw a little oil weeping around a cap towards the back of the engine. The torx screw it tight.

Anyone know what this is, and how common is it to leak. Leaks tend to get worse over time, so I'd like to get this fixed sooner than later.

I'm under warranty but don't want to take my Jeep in unless absolutely necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's the camshaft position sensor. It has an o'ring seal on the bolt and a press in seal around the outer diameter. You can probably change the bolt o'ring without disturbing anything. If it's the outer diameter seal you may need a seal pusher or be able to use a socket.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
That's the cam position sensor.

I'd take it in and have them fix it. It'll be a pain eventually and fixing the gasket on the sensor isn't always possible without replacing the entire sensor. Depending on the application. I've never changed out the pentastar, but in the past the ones I've changed have all had integrated o-rings and your not going to be able to simply put the new ring on. Completely rediculous, but there you go. Why it's not a simply gasket most of the time I have no idea.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I appreciate the answer.

I cleaned most of the oil off but the dealer should be able to see it's been leaking.

It might be a good idea for others to check theirs. I'd never have noticed it if I hadn't been looking at my TC breather tube.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks guys. I appreciate the answer. I cleaned most of the oil off but the dealer should be able to see it's been leaking. It might be a good idea for others to check theirs. I'd never have noticed it if I hadn't been looking at my TC breather tube.
What did the dealer do about this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts