Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird. Has been working fine and then just wouldnt open. Pretty much you can open it from the outside, but not the inside. Anyone had this problem? If so, how did you fix it? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
There are plastic clips that hold the rods to the inside handle. When they break you cannot open the door because the rod pops out. Pull it apart and wire tie the rod to the handle assy. You cannot buy just the clip. You must buy the handle assy. Not very expensive but one of mine has been wired up for a long time now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can buy replacement clips at the dealer or almost any parts store. Shouldn't cost more than a buck or two.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not sure what your exact issue is, but my driver's side door used to have a trick to opening it from the inside. While putting pressure down on the unlock lever with your thumb you then had to pull on the handle with your index finger. It was a cool one-handed trick.

Going along with that if you tried to unlock the door from the outside you had to turn it to the unlock position, keep the key there, open the door, and then turn and remove the key. Otherwise you would just lock the door back on yourself.

The last time I had my door panels off to paint them I started looking around and stuff in there. Turns out there's a tab on the door lock cylinder that if bent out of place enough will cause this to happen. I bent it back and no more tricks to unlocking the driver's door or getting out. :D

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
You can buy replacement clips at the dealer or almost any parts store. Shouldn't cost more than a buck or two.
I tried to get it from my dealer and they are not available for the 2004. I have the parts fiche and sent them the page and there is not a part number listed. If your dealer can get them I would love to know the part number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2002 and have had to replace the clip on the driver side 3 or 4 times now. I've just bought the random assortment of clips from any auto parts store and found the one that fits right.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I used a piece of the twist tie that came with my broccoli.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts