Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

having a bit of a downer day today. My wrangler is an '07 X that I purchased used from a family friend for around $12K. While I have no doubt that he took very good care of it for the winter he owned it, I have my suspicions about the original owner...

The amount of repairs that I have put into since purchasing it back in May of 2018 have quickly risen above the $15,000 mark, some of the more costly repairs involving a PCM replacement and countless hours of labor chasing electrical ghosts.

Things were beginning to look up. To get this out in the open right off the bat, my jeep spends 90% of its time off road in the woods. Old snowmobile trails, bogs, mountains, bushwhacking, etc. About a month ago, I had been out trailing with a friend, and not paying attention, managed to drift off the edge of an embankment and ended up putting her in the tulips. This little diversion from the beaten path ended up cracking an aluminum rim, shredding brand new fenders and some other pride-related damage. While only doing about 20Km/h when we left the trail, the passenger side front tire slammed into a large square faced rock. The rock was not damaged. :rolleyes:

Having let my inspection slip past, I haven't been driving it since. Today, I went to get started on putting in some new bump stops in the front mounts. Having been driving on a non-matching spare tire (smaller,) I thought that the slight pull to the right and uneven keel to the jeep were caused by the tire. I've got some pictures to post, but in short, I immediately thought that perhaps my control arm had been bent as my passenger side front wheel is sitting back by about 3 inches from where it should be. The coil is definitely not where it should be, which is what led me to look further.

After taking some measurements of the control arms, they both seem to have about the same factory bend in them, but not much more. The mounts on the passenger side, however do seem to be a bit twisted. I'm now pretty concerned that there may be more to this than I had originally anticipated, and would greatly appreciate any feedback from anyone more knowledgeable than myself on this topic. I've done alot of my own work, but I have no experience in suspension and steering components. :/

Impact of the rock on the rim

https://i.ibb.co/2ZR3tJR/IMG-0965.jp

2 Comparison Photos:

Passenger Side Top-Down (Damaged)

Driver Side Top Down (Normal)

Sorry for the long post! I really appreciate the time anyone puts into having a look at this for me! :) Cheers! :D

(Photos continued below) Also, if any additional photos are needed, please let me know and I'll get them asap.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Bad things happen when we are not looking. No one got hurt and it can be fixed,,,this time.

Reactions: WildCatVac

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah...could have been a lot worse. Like previous poster said, likely CA mounts. Inspect and cut off any damaged mounts and weld on new ones. If taking it somewhere, tell them what you specifically want done and get a few quotes.

Reactions: WildCatVac

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone who has replied... since I'd posted this, I've spoken with a friend who works as a mechanic at the local jeep stealership (always good to have one!!)

He's said basically what has been indicated here. The front mount for the lower control arm is pretty bent up. The near-90 degree bends in it were so intentional looking that I had simply thought it was supposed to be that way! :O Ordered a 2 sets of mounting brackets and a pair of lower control arms, both from Rubicon Express. I guess if I'm replacing one, I might has well do it all and be done with it!

Thanks again for the quick replies. Happy wheeling! :D :D

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
for future reference, Artec makes really good replacement axle hardware, and it is reasonably priced. I have the entire rear axle setup on my bench waiting to be installed at some point. Just need to find time to take the jeep apart.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Would be the time to go coilovers and long arms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts