Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we've finally had an issue with the 2017 JKU Sport S we bought over 2 years ago - the passenger side rear door appears to be stuck in the closed/locked condition. pressing the unlock button will unlock all the doors EXCEPT the passenger rear door, and pulling on the handle on the door does nothing. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I'm thinking it's probably the locking mechanism, probably the motor or other electronics. Is it something that can be fixed at home, or am I better off letting the dealer handle it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The doors have not been off in the 2 years we've owned it - it's prior life was as an Enterprise rental in Lahaina, Hawaii so I don't nkow if the doors were ever removed back then.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How difficult is it to remove the door panel when the door is locked closed? If I have to remove the door, can that be done with the latch locked? I'm thinking I might just take it to the dealer and hope it doesn't cost too much...

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
No. When the door is locked, even if you removed the four screws that attache the hinges to the door, there is still the latch mechanism that grabs the loop on the back of the opening. Look at the latch and loop on the front door. If the latch is accidentally closed you can't close the door until the latch is released by using either of the door handles.

I have never removed the door card from the inside of a JK, but looking at mine, there is one screw in the front bottom corner. Maybe someone who has had experience and chime in, or you can ask around. I didn't find any other screws. They are hidden.

Maybe this will help:

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Are the doors unlocking but handle won't open them or are they not unlocking at all? I had both of mine get stuck closed a few months ago after re-installing for the Winter. They would unlock but the door handle would not open the doors.
You can get the inner panels off from inside w/ doors closed. Do a search thru Google. I am sure you can find the procedure, I did.
There are a few screws that have to come out, 2 I think, then the rest are push pin type connectors that hold the panel in place. They are a bit tough to pop out so you may want to pick up a automotive trim tool kit to help (this way you won't damage the panel using a screw driver or other pry bar tool). A few of the clips might brake so you may need some replacements.
Once the panel is off there is a rubber plug on the steel of the door (upper rearward corner). If you pop out that plug you will be able to see the door handle push-button mechanism. It gets corroded. Lube it up and press it w/ screw driver thru that access hole. I think you pry it inwards but I can't recall. Again Google/ YouTube has some good videos. This should open the door for you.
Once opened lube it up real good, careful lube will run out the lower drain holes of the door, and reinstall the rubber plug and door panel.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
One thing I noticed when I was researching online is that the JK uses cables not rods as the previous CJ-7, YJ and TJ doors did. If that cable broke or came undone the lock most likely will not work either electrically or manually and the neither the inside nor outside handles will work. But removing the door panel will tell you what the issue is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts