Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding a set of light guards. The instructions call for the removal of the tail light at the plastic harness. I was able to remove the driver's side tail light without a problem, but the passenger's side won't budge more than a few inches:

Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Yellow Car

Is that as far as it goes or am I snagged on something behind the panel? I can't get my hand very deep into the corner to reach the cable:

Yellow Fuel line Hose Wire Cable

That's it, way up in the back.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
392 Posts
looks like someone tapped into that harness or made it shorter.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
You will have to fish the plug the harness plugs out through the opening in the tub. The tub opening is big enough for the plug to fit through.

That said, tail light guards usually just cause problems for the tail lights since they depend on being screwed snugly against the tub for their electrical ground connection. Not to mention tail light guards can't really protect the tail light, which costs less to replace than the tail light guards cost, from an impact. At least not in my personal opinion. Most consider them more for looks than for protection.

Personally, I wouldn't mount them.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Enemy said:
looks like someone tapped into that harness or made it shorter.
Yeah, the previous owner added a trailer hitch. I already disconnected the wiring for it on the driver's side.

I'm wondering if they completely hacked out the harness in order to install the wiring for the tow harness wiring.

Jerry Bransford said:
Most consider them more for looks ...
Yep!

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
Follow the harness wire down and undo whatever is stopping it being pulled further through the hole in the tub.
There's probably something like a zip-tie holding the wire harness in place further down.

Due to the electrical grounding issues mentioned, it would pay to ditch the screws that come with light guards and use some decent stainless nuts and bolts instead - I 'double-nutted' mine and reached up into the tub cavity when tightening them.
If the light guard is Rugged Ridge - you will definately have to replace the supplied screws.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wesboy said:
If the light guard is Rugged Ridge - you will definately have to replace the supplied screws.
I don't even know why they bothered including those bolts in the package. They're a good length, but definitely not wide enough.

Thanks for the double-nut idea.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
beetle said:
i had the exact same problem tonight, took me forever
How did you fish out the harness?

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I bought my TJ, I decided to remove the chrome tail light guards the PO had installed. I had a similar issue with the harness on the passenger side. I was able to get to the harness by getting under the vehicle and reaching up under the tub. I disconnected/reconnected it from that side.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Jeffreybomb said:
How did you fish out the harness?
I pulled it down and unplugged it from behind and fished it out. I think I had a little bit more wire then you did in your pics though

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm about to start round two. After thinking about it last night, I'm wondering if the third brake light wiring for my aftermarket bumper may have something to do with it. I had to pull more wiring through in order to reach the third brake light, so I'm wondering if that's connected to the passenger's side harness?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got the passenger's side tail light to cooperate. Turns out whoever installed the tow bar decided to wrap the wiring around a mount on the underside of the tub. Very frustrating, but at least I figured it out.

Both the light guards are on now. Phew.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts