Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what I need.
So I get all the way across town today with no issue at all, everything running fine.
Then I start the Jeep to go home. A strange pattering sound, coming I think from under the hood.... very difficult to tell.
Its fairly loud. Don't feel any problems shifting or any real issue with the engine running, its all going ok.
However, the engine light blinks.

Then when I stop the car and idle at a stoplight, so does the pattering, it stops. The blinking also in a few seconds always stops.
It patters faster as I accelerate, and slows as the vehicle slows. Got all the way home, and aside from the noise and blinking, really no problems. But of course, we all know I'm not getting off that easy, lol.

I have absolutely no idea what this is. I've had two Jeeps and this one since 2002, and never had this happen before.
The only other odd thing was last week, the speedometer zeroed out (went almost straight down) and wouldn't work. But then the next day, it was working again and still is.

The only thing remotely like this was many years ago when I had a Ford Mustang, and I had rattling, and it turned out to be the speedometer cable that was loose. But I don't even know if that could be an issue with a 2002 Wrangler. To late to start searching under the hood tonight, though who knows if I can see anything without the vehicle actually moving.

Anybody have any ideas or experienced this before?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the U-Joints on both drivelines.
Could that just all of a sudden, start making a constant rattling/pattering sound when driving?
I woudn't have expected them to just go out all of a sudden like that.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Since the check engine light is flashing the engine is misfiring badly. Might need to check for codes to see if there are any clues there.

Next time it happens, stop, and turn off the engine. Then, within five seconds, and without starting the engine, turn the ignition on-off-on-off-on. Leave it on the third time and any trouble codes should show up in the odometer, followed by done.(donE).

Post any codes shown and people will be able to tell you what they mean and what you might need to check.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Flashing is serious misfire. You are dumping raw fuel into the cats. Check for codes as mentioned. Get your plugs replaced as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts