Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 JKU Rubi
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own the Bestop Trail cover, which I love, but it takes a while to put on. The Bestop cover is definitely more substantial in weight and is more ideal for a "planned" period of cover, but it's kind of a PITA to use as a daily cover.

I don't have any "usable" garage space, so I have to park it outside overnight. Down here in Houston, with the high humidity, this presents the problem of heavy dew in the mornings. This doesn't even take into account all of the roaming cats and other critters. Furthermore, with the sometimes sporadic rain, it would be nice to have an option that could be driven while on if I don't have time or opportunity to "disrobe" the jeep in the mornings.

It looks like this Pavement Ends Emergency Top fits the bill. I can get it on and cinched down in under 5 minutes and it seems to work well with doors on or off. 2 straps from the front-top corners of the windshield connect to the top door hinges and another in the top-center hooks to the hood loop. a large elastic band slides over the spare and can then be tightened with button snaps. It appears to big enough to stretch around a 40" tire if totally loosened. It has tabs along the interior of the back that snugly fit into the bed rail and each rear door flap has 2 cinch straps that reach to the inside of my rubi rails. There are sleeves that wrap around the B-Pillar and velcro closed, but I haven't used them due to currently having my doors on.

You can see above that the forward edges of the back door flaps are simply closed within my front doors. This helps with tension so that the top doesn't flap around. I would assume that the velcro sleeves would serve the same purpose with doors off.

This shows the strap attached to the hood loop and you can see that the hinge straps are shut into the front doors as well.

Nice and taught for the rear portion....

Finally, you can see the roll-up rear window. On my way into work this morning, I had this opened. About a quart of dew rolled back and dumped into the bed, but my rubber cargo mat can handle it. It'll be dry by noon.

My commute into work takes about 20 minutes after I drop the kiddo off at school. The majority of that time is on a highway. I was clocking about 60 mph in between lights and, while I can hear the top portion flapping against my bikini top, the sides were pretty-much immobile. Visibility sucks, but you can't have everything. I can get this thing on in mere minutes, which is a significant improvement over the trail cover, not to mention being able to drive with it on.

·
Registered
545 Posts
One note from my experience with this top. The two front corner strap hooks are intended to attache to the front door hinges but we found that this put the straps in the way of the front doors closing. Not really a problem if you are running with no doors but we weren't. So we moved the hooks to the edge of the slot behind the hood. This worked well but would probably rub off a lot of paint, so I put two layers of heat shrink tubing over the metal S hook. I might replace them with plastic hooks later.

·
Registered
297 Posts
One note from my experience with this top. The two front corner strap hooks are intended to attache to the front door hinges but we found that this put the straps in the way of the front doors closing. Not really a problem if you are running with no doors but we weren't. So we moved the hooks to the edge of the slot behind the hood. This worked well but would probably rub off a lot of paint, so I put two layers of heat shrink tubing over the metal S hook. I might replace them with plastic hooks later.
Good idea. Those bare metal hooks were giving me some pause. Sure would be nice if they manufactured it using PVC coated hooks. Plasti-dip them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own the Bestop Trail cover, which I love, but it takes a while to put on. The Bestop cover is definitely more substantial in weight and is more ideal for a "planned" period of cover, but it's kind of a PITA to use as a daily cover.

I don't have any "usable" garage space, so I have to park it outside overnight. Down here in Houston, with the high humidity, this presents the problem of heavy dew in the mornings. This doesn't even take into account all of the roaming cats and other critters. Furthermore, with the sometimes sporadic rain, it would be nice to have an option that could be driven while on if I don't have time or opportunity to "disrobe" the jeep in the mornings.

It looks like this Pavement Ends Emergency Top fits the bill. I can get it on and cinched down in under 5 minutes and it seems to work well with doors on or off. 2 straps from the front-top corners of the windshield connect to the top door hinges and another in the top-center hooks to the hood loop. a large elastic band slides over the spare and can then be tightened with button snaps. It appears to big enough to stretch around a 40" tire if totally loosened. It has tabs along the interior of the back that snugly fit into the bed rail and each rear door flap has 2 cinch straps that reach to the inside of my rubi rails. There are sleeves that wrap around the B-Pillar and velcro closed, but I haven't used them due to currently having my doors on.

You can see above that the forward edges of the back door flaps are simply closed within my front doors. This helps with tension so that the top doesn't flap around. I would assume that the velcro sleeves would serve the same purpose with doors off.

This shows the strap attached to the hood loop and you can see that the hinge straps are shut into the front doors as well.

Nice and taught for the rear portion....

Finally, you can see the roll-up rear window. On my way into work this morning, I had this opened. About a quart of dew rolled back and dumped into the bed, but my rubber cargo mat can handle it. It'll be dry by noon.

My commute into work takes about 20 minutes after I drop the kiddo off at school. The majority of that time is on a highway. I was clocking about 60 mph in between lights and, while I can hear the top portion flapping against my bikini top, the sides were pretty-much immobile. Visibility sucks, but you can't have everything. I can get this thing on in mere minutes, which is a significant improvement over the trail cover, not to mention being able to drive with it on.
Great review Keiff. I am looking at the PE emergency top right now. Wanted to see what your take on it is almost two years later, still like it? I have a spiderwebshade, Wrangler Accessories, Jeep Top, Wrangler Top | SPIDERWEBSHADE that I love in the summer. I lived in El Paso where it rained about two days out of the year, but now living in Virginia, a different story. I want to run topless this summer, but want something for those rainy days, instead of messing my hard top all the time. I don't have a garage, so it needs to stay waterproof overnight with rain as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have the quick release mirrors that the hooks can go without losing paint and able to shut the door, should be the same with any accessory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts