Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm having some issues with my jeep it's reading a code that could indicate that the PCM is going bad it is also idling erratically I've replaced throttle control and all other parts that could cause this so I'm pretty sure it is the PCM my question is can I use a PCM out of a 99 and put it in my 98. The reason is I have a 99 that I'm working on but doesn't currently run and the 98 needs to be inspected so I thought if I could switch them and pass my inspection I could order a new down the road when my 99 is ready thanks for any ideas.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
I don't know of any model years of ECM/PCM that are interchangeable with each other. I'd stick with only one with the same exact configuration... model year, engine type, and transmission type. Even swapping one in with the same engine and model year but different transmission type could cause a check engine light and cause it to fail the smog system inspection.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jerry the 99 and 98 are identical except the year I was worried about that the code also said it could be the speed sensor witch is a terra flex due to the SYE I installed oh and by the way I took your advice and got the currie control arms and the currie HD steering system thanks your the man.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts