Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just discovered my Jeep leaking a little oil. Upon investigating I discovered the oil is dripping from the plastic PCV tube that runs to my air filter box. It had a huge crack barely hanging on... the oil is from this tube.

1.) Does oil "run" through that tube for any reason?!?! I have a nice little stain in the driveway from it sitting there several hours.

2.) The auto parts store only has a "PCV valve elbow" and it's $5 bucks. I need the "tube" that runs to the air filter box. Where can I find one?

3.) (Most Important) Can I drive the Jeep with this tube "broke" as in picture #1?

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
136 Posts
yes. All that tube does is take oil that has been atomized of sorts, made to more of a vapor than a liquid, and runs it into your intake so that it can be burnt by the engine (emissions standards was the goal) but actually gums up your throttle body, intake runners and such. I suggest deleting them, I need to on my jeep and have done so on my cobra.

throw one of those little filters on the valve cover (deleting the PCV valve item) and put some caps on where the tube runs to (the intake box).

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

...and nice pics on your profile. Is that a factory color, or has it been painted? Looks good!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

...and nice pics on your profile. Is that a factory color, or has it been painted? Looks good!
glad I could help.

thanks man. Factory color. It actually looks a tad different now, its all blacked out, from the rims on up.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I had a friend put on one of those little breather filters and it ended up making a big mess. Just a word of caution: if the motor is old and worn out more oil will blow by the PCV, putting a breather filter in place of the tube will allow all that oil to drip onto the top of the motor.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a friend put on one of those little breather filters and it ended up making a big mess. Just a word of caution: if the motor is old and worn out more oil will blow by the PCV, putting a breather filter in place of the tube will allow all that oil to drip onto the top of the motor.
there is an alt. method. You can run the line to a can with a filter and a 4 way fitting. 1 & 2 = in and out, 3 = into the canister and 4 = to the filter. This way the oil drips into the canister but vapors can escape/cool air is introduced into the canister. This method is called a catch-can set up and still allows you to keep the lines hooked up where they are, prevents any oil from dripping on the motor(exterior) as well as preventing any of this oil that does no good from getting into the motor. Just a thought. I only notice oil coming out of mine if I have put the motor through the paces, some spirited driving, but under normal conditions I see almost no oil drip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sasme thing happend here. Went to the dealer and replace it for $35. Repaired a vaccumn leak at the same time. Its all part of the emision system

·
Registered
350 Posts
any pics of your set=up?

there is an alt. method. You can run the line to a can with a filter and a 4 way fitting. 1 & 2 = in and out, 3 = into the canister and 4 = to the filter. This way the oil drips into the canister but vapors can escape/cool air is introduced into the canister. This method is called a catch-can set up and still allows you to keep the lines hooked up where they are, prevents any oil from dripping on the motor(exterior) as well as preventing any of this oil that does no good from getting into the motor. Just a thought. I only notice oil coming out of mine if I have put the motor through the paces, some spirited driving, but under normal conditions I see almost no oil drip.
PO on my 88 took off PCV and had been running two breather caps. however i must have blow=by as the rear breather cap pushes lots of oil/fumes out.

would love to see your set-up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts