Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much a quarter to half dollar sizes dents without paint chips cost to repair? I had my jeep parked in the driveway and my brother was mowing the lawn yesterday and hit something and it put three nice dents in the side of my jeep and one in the garage door. To say the least I was pi$$ed. There is one quarter sized in the door and two in the rear quarter panel(two door jeep).

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This might help, sorry for the double post. My body shop said they could pdr the one in the door, but didn't know about the larger dent. He thought it could be too deep for pdr and would have to use filler and paint which would cost $600 minimum. If anybody knows anything about body work please help! I really don't want to get screwed.

thanks, matt

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Man I'm so sorry to see that! It's unbelievable how many people don't pay attention to which way their discharge is facing when they cut the grass. I see people cutting their ditch along the road all the time.....and which way is the grass blowing? You got it....into the street. And they don't care when a car comes driving by either! Put them in front of a mower discharge and see how they like it! Sorry....back on subject. Ok, though I can't offer any help as to cost of repair, I thought I'd share a suggestion in case the cost ends up being too much. Especially since you really never know how it's gonna look after their done. Your option is to get some body armor - either black powder coat or have it color-matched to your Jeep. So not only are you paying for the armor, but it's covering up the dent as well. It's a win-win!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
IMO, skip the body shop and go direct to the source for PDR. Post your location and maybe someone can give you a recommendation. I've had some nasty dents taken out with no sign of damage after removal. The key is to get a good experienced person to do it. The door shouldn't be a problem, and around here it would cost about $175 to have the door done. The rear quarter is the tough one since it appears fairly deep/sharp. That one will probably still show some very minor distortion when done. Cost for that one would probably be about $150-200.

This is my go-to guy for PDR:
Paintless Dent Removal, Dings Repair, Dents Repair, Scratches & Chip Repair » Dentfix Express

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't quote me but I believe it's just that one sheet of metal between the inside and out side of the jeep might be able to go from the inside of the jeep and tap it out..

·
Registered
531 Posts
go Paintless dent removal

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got a final quote from my body shop today and they said $980. According to them the dents on the rear quarter are too deep for PDR and that if they did filler and paint then they would have to paint the door as well because the metallic paint wouldn't match correctly. I'm going to bring it to a shop in Metairie that specializes in PDR tomorrow or Friday to see what they say. I'm not dropping $1000 before getting a second look.

I actually toyed with the idea of body armour, but I do like the clean look of just the body panel. I saw smittybilt makes one that covers that panel, but I don't know anything about it, and also what would that do for resale? Do you have to drill the body to install armour?
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I would avoid having filler & paint work done, even if it means some possible leftover distortion on the rear quarter. This is exactly the kind of damage that PDR is meant to take care of. Even if a good body shop does the body work, you are still left with a filler repair and a paint blend.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would not pay $980 for that repair. It is a Jeep, not a Porsche. I would think that the paintless dent repair would get it fixed or pretty damn close. If not...MAKING IT LOOK MEAN!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfroUSUcbdc

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I brought it to the PDR shop today and they said that the dents on the rear are way too deep for PDR and that the metal is quite stretched. They could do the door, but they recommended just getting the whole job done by a body shop since they would have to match the paint on the entire left side even if I did PDR on just the door. So basically it would cost more to do partial PDR.
I was really worried that this would be the case, the pictures don't show the dents justice, they look to be about 1/4 inch deep. Whatever hit it, hit hard. This is just one of those life's a b*tch moments I guess. It really bothers me, so it looks like I'm dropping a grand no matter what. Wether I do PDR in the door with body armor or body work.

Does anybody know of a jeep 2 door with body color armor? I have no clue if it looks good or not.

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't know what the cost of body armor is to install, but if you can't bare to drill holes in the side of your Jeep, I'd take it somewhere to get it done. I know....it sounds bad....drilling the holes, but hey, at least it's an option that you have.

Do a Google search for something like "poison spyder crusher corner 2-door jk" and select "images". There's a ton of pictures out there from guys that have painted their armor matte black to those that have painted it to match the color of their Jeep. I think it looks great and wouldn't have a problem adding it to mine. It definitely adds to the "ruggedness" appearance.
Also, there are other manufacturers of this stuff, so don't just limit yourself to Poison Spyder.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I got a third opinion today because $980 just doesn't sit well with me. My other Local bodyshop said that they have a PDR guy come in on Mondays and that they would try to PDR it for $75 and it doesn't work, to do the body work including panting the door and the rear would be around $400. A grand is just(IMO) ridiculous, I would much rather put that money towards a new set of tires. I personally don't think PDR will work, but $400 is a whole lot better then $980 if it doesn't.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Does anyone know how much a quarter to half dollar sizes dents without paint chips cost to repair? I had my jeep parked in the driveway and my brother was mowing the lawn yesterday and hit something and it put three nice dents in the side of my jeep and one in the garage door. To say the least I was pi$$ed. There is one quarter sized in the door and two in the rear quarter panel(two door jeep).

Thanks, Matt
I'm not sure the age of your brother, but if it were MY brother I would NOT be paying anything for the fix. He would.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure the age of your brother, but if it were MY brother I would NOT be paying anything for the fix. He would.
Oh, he will pay me back in another way. It was a true accident, he actually didn't have the mower facing the wrong direction. I'm not letting it go, but I rather know where the dents came from then some random person who didn't leave a note, from some parking lot(walmart comes to mind lol) because that behavior just really ticks me off.

Also I decided body armor isn't my thing. I saw a Honda Element today and it just reminded me too much of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts