Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so have my PC installed almost 2 weeks now. I have put close to 2 tanks of fuel now.
Between Fuelly, OBC and hand calculations, my gas milage has improved over 2.7mpg.
Mt driving does not vary much and I have a very short commute and drives and drive this thing.
Is PC really helping? Seriously. I have it set to City +2 and my JKU drives a lot better and smoother. Looks like PC gets your revs up faster/instantly and a bit higher while driving. But it seems like I am in the power curve faster and easier and assume, without lag and instant power, my JKU can move smoother.

Less than 2 tanks but say a drop on similar time with lift and tires. I am now pushing 15mpg city for 11.7-12.4.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
It's a Jeep. I don't check gas mileage. I had a BMW 335is and a Mercedes. I never checked gas mileage on them either. If I wanted good gas mileage or if I was concerned about it, I would not have bought any of those vehicles. Besides, there is not much to do about poor gas mileage.

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
The blend of gasoline will have a bigger affect on mileage than the PC. In fact, when I first used a PC type widget (I started with a Sprint Booster, and now have an iDrive) my fuel mileage went down because I was running it in the + (plus) range, which makes the throttle more aggressive. That means it applies more throttle for less pedal movement, more throttle means more fuel burned. I now have re-geared and actually run it in the - (minus) range to smooth out the throttle. It did not improve my mileage, but at least it isn't hurting it anymore. But while a throttle widget can make your fuel mileage worse by making the throttle more aggressive it is pretty hard for it to make your mileage better. That is because if it makes the throttle less aggressive your right foot will typically just apply more throttle as required.
I do keep an eye on fuel mileage, but I would not stress about it. Fuel mileage in a Jeep will suck.
If you bought a PC or any other widget thinking it would improve your fuel mileage you will either be disappointed or deluded. If you bought it because you want to be able to adjust the feel of your throttle pedal you should be happy with it. Because it will not improve your fuel mileage but it will allow you to adjust the feel of the throttle pedal.
How aggressive you are on the throttle, how much brake you use (every time you use the brakes you are costing mpg's), and the blend of gasoline you use, will all affect your fuel mileage. A throttle widget really won't.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The blend of gasoline will have a bigger affect on mileage than the PC. In fact, when I first used a PC type widget (I started with a Sprint Booster, and now have an iDrive) my fuel mileage went down because I was running it in the + (plus) range, which makes the throttle more aggressive. That means it applies more throttle for less pedal movement, more throttle means more fuel burned. I now have re-geared and actually run it in the - (minus) range to smooth out the throttle. It did not improve my mileage, but at least it isn't hurting it anymore. But while a throttle widget can make your fuel mileage worse by making the throttle more aggressive it is pretty hard for it to make your mileage better. That is because if it makes the throttle less aggressive your right foot will typically just apply more throttle as required.
I do keep an eye on fuel mileage, but I would not stress about it. Fuel mileage in a Jeep will suck.
If you bought a PC or any other widget thinking it would improve your fuel mileage you will either be disappointed or deluded. If you bought it because you want to be able to adjust the feel of your throttle pedal you should be happy with it. Because it will not improve your fuel mileage but it will allow you to adjust the feel of the throttle pedal.
How aggressive you are on the throttle, how much brake you use (every time you use the brakes you are costing mpg's), and the blend of gasoline you use, will all affect your fuel mileage. A throttle widget really won't.
Not worried about MPGs but noticed higher. I am less on the tootle now since it reacts more and not heavy on brakes ever. Fuel is the same I always use. I guess at I don't have to push the pedal down as far down to move, maybe I am lighter on the pedal and thus betters mpgs. I did not think it would unless under eco - on the PC or something.

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
Not worried about MPGs but noticed higher. I am less on the tootle now since it reacts more and not heavy on brakes ever. Fuel is the same I always use. I guess at I don't have to push the pedal down as far down to move, maybe I am lighter on the pedal and thus betters mpgs. I did not think it would unless under eco - on the PC or something.
The reason you are having to hit the throttle less is because the widget is fooling the Jeep into thinking you are hitting it harder. So, even though you are hitting the throttle less, the Jeep thinks you are still hitting the throttle the same as before (or close to it). Unless you are driving slower, you are using the same amount of throttle. The widget only changes how much you have to push the pedal to achieve that.
As mentioned, when I first used a throttle widget my fuel mileage dropped. The Jeep felt faster, because the widget applied more throttle for a given amount of gas pedal.
Even in ECO mode, it really won't save you mpg unless you drive slower. I am running in ECO 3 with my iDrive, no difference in mpgs, only difference is if I drive easier / slower.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason you are having to hit the throttle less is because the widget is fooling the Jeep into thinking you are hitting it harder. So, even though you are hitting the throttle less, the Jeep thinks you are still hitting the throttle the same as before (or close to it). Unless you are driving slower, you are using the same amount of throttle. The widget only changes how much you have to push the pedal to achieve that.

As mentioned, when I first used a throttle widget my fuel mileage dropped. The Jeep felt faster, because the widget applied more throttle for a given amount of gas pedal.

Even in ECO mode, it really won't save you mpg unless you drive slower. I am running in ECO 3 with my iDrive, no difference in mpgs, only difference is if I drive easier / slower.

Thanks and understand how PC works. Just mentioned MPGs are up with zero change in driving style, fuel, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
881 Posts
Just received one for my wife's JK last night.

Holy crap, where IS that connector??? It doesn't help that she has the stupid Quadtratec Automatic Mirror Movers which forces the door closed, or a sub box that limits how far back I can move the driver's seat -- but I can't even find the connector by feel.

I've installed several PCs on other vehicles over the years. I've never seen a connector this hard to find -- or a lower dash panel that offers almost no access even when removed, lol. Wow.

As to the OP question, I've never noticed any MPG changes on other vehicles that I attributed to the PC. I tend to run it on Sport +1 or +2 depending on the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts

Holy crap, where IS that connector??? It doesn't help that she has the stupid Quadtratec Automatic Mirror Movers which forces the door closed, or a sub box that limits how far back I can move the driver's seat -- but I can't even find the connector by feel.

I've installed several PCs on other vehicles over the years. I've never seen a connector this hard to find -- or a lower dash panel that offers almost no access even when removed, lol. Wow.

As to the OP question, I've never noticed any MPG changes on other vehicles that I attributed to the PC. I tend to run it on Sport +1 or +2 depending on the vehicle.
Just take the door off, that will solve one issue.
The connector is on the top of the gas pedal assembly, angled to the right as I recall. There are 2 10mm nuts holding the pedal assembly in place. If you use a 10mm socket (I use 1/4" socket and ratchet bits) with a wobble and some long extensions it is fairly easy to just remove the pedal assembly and then it is easier to install the widget.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Its on top of the gas pedal and very hard to reach. I am not that big but have large hands so was tough. Getting original out took me 10 min trying to get hand in. Connecting PC was hear impossible but could not see it and the angle.
So what I did was remove the kick panel and metal plate under the steering wheel. Now to the right of the area, you will see a back flat rectangular box. Pop that out of place and move it and you will see the plug. Now that I can see the plug, took me about a minute or so to plug in. 10 min total, if that to remove panels, box, plug and all back together.

But its cramped and hidden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sorry, but I like posts like this as I do watch mpg. I don't get the "it's a Jeep" crap, there is no reason not to get the best mileage you can. I was young once and had many fuel burning rides where you could watch the needle drop. I have kids now, and would rather spend my money at other places than the fuel pump. I didn't buy a JK for mpg, but if I can squeeze a few more out of it I am all in.

I have been debating a PC, so I find this thread swaying me closer to buying one.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I watch MPG too -- had a 9 MPG V10 Ram back when gas exceeded $5/gal nationwide, believe me, that'll make anybody a mileage-nazi -- but as I mentioned above, I've never seen a difference with a PC installed. (I would kill to have my Chevy Colorado's GDI LGZ V6 in a Wrangler... more power, 25-30 MPG all day...)

And if you're thinking about the "Eco" mode, be forewarned it's painful to drive in that mode (to the point they make it slightly more difficult to select it). I've been in many PC threads on many forums and I've never seen anybody put up with it long enough to decide whether it makes a mileage difference.

In my opinion, fuel economy is not a reason to buy a PC, but I'm just Some Guy On The Internet. On other vehicles I always recommend people find somebody and try it out. On my Colorado (and everything else I've had) it really does take about five seconds to install/remove. But the connector in the Jeep is a royal hassle.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I love my PC WIRED and summer blend mileage runs 17.5 to 17.8 with 35’s,4.56 gearing ,and a 2 door heap. Winter hovers around 16mpg. Sport 3 is where it stays to keep it interesting.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just installed mine a couple hours ago. Put about 50 miles on it so far and WOW! I would say this is the first thing everyone should do when getting their Jeep. I cannot believe the difference it makes in response and smoothness of the throttle. I actually even gained around a 1/2 mile per gallon so far.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Finally got around to installing it on my wife's Jeep. Unlike everything else I've owned with a PC, I found Sport +2 to be "jumpy" -- but the 2-door sheep is also the shortest wheelbase of anything I've driven with one. Sport +1 wakes it up fine though. What threw me on previous install explorations (before removing that metal plate Dirt Boy mentioned) is that the connector on the pedal doesn't have that little red slide-lock thing that is on the PC's female connector. I wasted a lot ftime trying to feel for that, but it's just a push tab, no lock.

Found an article which explains the settings in terms of pedal depression vs stock throttle response. I've never seen this spelled out (and I have no idea if it's accurate but it seems to match my hyper-accurate butt-dyno experience):

Eco: First 50% of pedal is reduced by half, after 50% it ramps up quickly to 1:1

City: Slight boost for the first 10% of pedal, then quickly ramps down to 1:1

Sport: Boosted such that 50% of pedal is full throttle

Sport+: Boosted such that 30% of pedal is full throttle

And, of course, there is the +/- settings to tweak those.

Anyway, I have been in the PC camp for a long time and it looks like the Wrangler isn't going to change that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts