Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my girlfriend is 5'1 and can't even start the jeep because she can't depress the clutch fully. I really want to teach her to drive standard, because i think it is something everyone should know. (I know it's off-topic, but we have all seen the horror movies where the victim can't get away because they can't drive stick). I'm wondering if anyone has this problem, and what i could temporarily to extend the pedals. Any answers are appreciated.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Does she have unusually short legs? I'm not asking that to be funny but at 5'1" I wouldn't think she'd have any issue. My wife is that height and she drives hers everyday.

It seems silly to ask but does she have the seat up all the way?

Is she really 5'1" or is that what she says? Have you measured her to be sure? Some women don't seem to be crazy about sharing their real age, weight, and even height. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know what you are talking about! I am petite almost 5 ft 1...I got an automatic on my jku though test drove manual. You see even though I can reach the pedals just fine , I need to pump the seat higher to see better or reach out the window (like at a bank or take out) . Once seated higher, I need to press the clutch with my toes. While that is fine for someone with experience, it isn't ideal for a person learning to drive . Two things that work aside from pedals....place a small pillow low on your back --- you will tilt your hips forward without bending your chest forward....(I do this with my mgb as the pedals are really far away.

Also, try learning stick on another vehicle first. For me, manual is kind of second nature.. Using my toes or platformed heels when i drive is a piece of cake!

·
Registered
54 Posts
What I did on a chevy pick-up that the pads wore off, was I got some re-tread that came off a truck (you know laying along hwys everywhere). Cut them with a jig-saw and drilled them for screws.
You could probably bend some 1/2" flat metal to attach them to, that way you could remove them faster, and not do permanent damage to your pedals.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My wife is 4'9"-4;10" and is able to drive our '12 manual JK without any extra cushions or pedal extensions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im a thrown off by this. maybe she has unusually short legs. Even if i pulled the seat up all the way, it would have been way to unsafe with the airbag. thanks for the answers, i will try and figure something out.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
im jumping in here, im a 50 year old short ass old man at 5 ft 2 and had an uncomftrble time with the new manual jk,s..,,,,i would not have bought one for that reason alone,,,and i have driven alot of them,,,,,,

out of all the replies---------lmontycj2a has the best answer to your ??

best of luck//

·
Registered
123 Posts
Search internet for pedal extension. There are many companies that make pedal extenders for women under 5 ft 2 and for people with disabilies. One company makes detachable extenders so you can take them anywhere .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts