Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I was leaving the gym tonight and stopped in a dirt lot to try out 4wd since I haven't tested it since I got it . Drove it back and forth (still don't know how to tell) put it back in 2hi and drove off. Now the brake light is on and when I got home I noticed the pedal travels a lot more than before. What happened? Had the exhaust done a few weeks ago and the mechanic said brakes are at 50%. What could it be? Thanks guys

·
Registered
822 Posts
Maybe a brake line blew?

Usually the light comes in for one if two reasons; either the parking brake is partially engaged, or there's a fault in your braking system..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake lines were replaced right before I bought it last month and I don't see fluid on the ground

·
Registered
144 Posts
My brake line blew out on the rear proportioning valve and the same thing happened. Pedal to the floor and idiot light came on. I had it repaired and a month later it blew again. The guy didn't flare the line enough the first time he fixed it.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Hello. I was leaving the gym tonight and stopped in a dirt lot to try out 4wd since I haven't tested it since I got it . Drove it back and forth (still don't know how to tell) put it back in 2hi and drove off.
It should definitely feel different in 4wd, especially 4 low, and even more so in a turn.

Now the brake light is on and when I got home I noticed the pedal travels a lot more than before. What happened? Had the exhaust done a few weeks ago and the mechanic said brakes are at 50%. What could it be? Thanks guys
Sounds like either a blown line or blown wheel cylinder or caliper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The brake fluid resovoir appears to be just about empty . It wouldn't just be low it had to go somewhere right? There's no correlation to me using the 4wd right?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fill the master cylinder with fluid, put your foot on the brake, and push. If the pedal drops to the floor, then the fluid has to be leaking out somewhere. I would park on a driveway and pump the pedal a few times, and then walk around the jeep and look for the puddle, it should be pretty obvious where the leak is.

I just replaced the steel lines on our 2002 with stainless because one of the lines rusted out and blew.

sm

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turns out the rear brake cylinder exploded on one side. All new back brakes and I'm back in business

1 - 12 of 12 Posts