Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So are side mirrors required in PA with doors off?

I don’t want to skate the line if I’m out having a few beers.

I read the law as not necessary unless rear view mirror is obstructed, but other long term jeepers say mandatory.

Please advise.

·
Registered
631 Posts
removing the doors is illegal in PA

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Verify with local police dept..

If I'm not mistaken, you have to have "two mirrors" either one rear view and one side or two sides working (able to see objects behind you) at all times. The discretion of the police officer is important to the situation. If he feels the situation is unsafe and "likes" you, you're screwed.

Google:
Mirrors must have a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle. Pennsylvania: Side mirrors are only required if the view from the center mirror is obstructed.May 11, 2017

That said, If "I’m out having a few beers" turns into a traffic stop.. then you're going to have bigger issues then mirrors.

I haven't heard that, "No doors law" in PA. Good to know.. I'll be on the Delaware/PA border by years end. That would have created a major issue.. Wonder how bad of a ticket it is??? Can they tow??

Reactions: thetalkingmule

·
Registered
490 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, you have to have "two mirrors" either one rear view and one side or two sides working (able to see objects behind you) at all times. The discretion of the police officer is important to the situation. If he feels the situation is unsafe and "likes" you, you're screwed.

Google:
Mirrors must have a view of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle. Pennsylvania: Side mirrors are only required if the view from the center mirror is obstructed.May 11, 2017

That said, If "I’m out having a few beers" turns into a traffic stop.. then you're going to have bigger issues then mirrors.

I haven't heard that, "No doors law" in PA. Good to know.. I'll be on the Delaware/PA border by years end. That would have created a major issue.. Wonder how bad of a ticket it is??? Can they tow??
I've never had a problem driving with no doors in pa

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think the ticket is over $200 if you get one. From the posts on my local FB group, there has been an increase of people getting stopped in this part of PA for running doorless and also with trail doors. No one has reported getting ticketed, just being told to put doors back on. Of course, once you're stopped for that, everything else is fair game...

The current law says:
Doors.--A vehicle shall be equipped with doors of a
type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close
securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to
the extent that there is no roof or side.

A lot of people try to take that second sentence and say it makes no doors legal because we have no roof, but it refers to the "close securely".

There was a bill in the house last year that never made it to a vote. It's been replaced this session by HB 1240. It would amend the existing language to say:

"If a vehicle is designed by the manufacturer with removable doors for off-road use, the vehicle may be operated on roadways of this Commonwealth with doors removed except that the vehicle may not be:
(1) operated on any roadway having a speed limit in excess of 55 miles per hour or on any limited access highway;
or
(2) driven at any speed if a child under 18 years of age is a passenger in the vehicle."

If you're coming to PA, be aware it's also illegal to have tires sticking out beyond the fenders. I once got pulled over with 31x10.50's on a TJ. Again, most times they ignore it, but you don't want to meet up with the guy having a bad day.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I think the ticket is over $200 if you get one. From the posts on my local FB group, there has been an increase of people getting stopped in this part of PA for running doorless and also with trail doors. No one has reported getting ticketed, just being told to put doors back on. Of course, once you're stopped for that, everything else is fair game...

The current law says:
Doors.--A vehicle shall be equipped with doors of a
type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close
securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to
the extent that there is no roof or side.

A lot of people try to take that second sentence and say it makes no doors legal because we have no roof, but it refers to the "close securely".

There was a bill in the house last year that never made it to a vote. It's been replaced this session by HB 1240. It would amend the existing language to say:

"If a vehicle is designed by the manufacturer with removable doors for off-road use, the vehicle may be operated on roadways of this Commonwealth with doors removed except that the vehicle may not be:
(1) operated on any roadway having a speed limit in excess of 55 miles per hour or on any limited access highway;
or
(2) driven at any speed if a child under 18 years of age is a passenger in the vehicle."

If you're coming to PA, be aware it's also illegal to have tires sticking out beyond the fenders. I once got pulled over with 31x10.50's on a TJ. Again, most times they ignore it, but you don't want to meet up with the guy having a bad day.

but what if my vehicle is registered in NY? im adhering to the fender regulations in NY (not even required in NY) so the tire law should be void for a vehicle adhering to the regulations where its registered to. i typically only go down to rausch and aoaa for a weekend at a time, and last year when our club went to rausch, a cop pulled over one of our members for having no doors. he didnt get a ticket, but its still a stupid law. granted, he didnt have mirrors on, which i always do when doorless.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts

Oh boy! They're going to hate me in PA.. No top, no doors and my 37 x 12.5 x 17's barreling down the road with 1.25" spacers and my 2 1/2 year old son throwing Cheerios out the back of the Jeep at 65mpph.

I hope they make that addendum quick. I'll be there in the fall. My top and doors are coming off and staying off or the Jeep stays in the garage.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Oh boy! They're going to hate me in PA.. No top, no doors and my 37 x 12.5 x 17's barreling down the road with 1.25" spacers and my 2 1/2 year old son throwing Cheerios out the back of the Jeep at 65mpph.

I hope they make that addendum quick. I'll be there in the fall. My top and doors are coming off and staying off or the Jeep stays in the garage.
I guess it depends on what part of pa your in and the cop

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

You will be fine since you’re not registered in PA. These are inspection violations that they can pull you over for and ticket you.

I’ve been pulled over for my tires, a coworkers had been pulled over for no doors and my brother in law was pulled over for no covers on his lights.

Really just depends on your area but there is definitely more or a crack down than in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I think the issue has been debated many times on this forum. The inside rear mirror reference does not apply, since Jeeps come equipped with two outside rear view mirrors.

In Pa, you can't remove the side mirrors if originally equipped.

If you run doorless in PA, you are also subjecting your self to an encounter with a local yocal. If you look at the statute/regs, they say must have doors "of the type."

I run with tube doors to atleast have an argument if I get stopped.

Hopefully RUBICONSS will chime in since I think he paved a few miles of roadway with the tickets he received in the Pocono area.

Just as an fyi, never had an issue in South Central PA

Reactions: FLEX B

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Ref post #5, just the center mirror is fine. However having the side mirrors is a good idea, and temp ones that drop in the hinge holes are not expensive.

·
Registered
821 Posts
How you take it to get inspected is how you are supposed to drive it on Public Roads.
What you do on Private land and offroad is a different story.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I would suggest if you plan to have a couple beers best not to have anything with your Jeep that could bring you some extra attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I'm worried about driving while intoxicated and don't want to draw any undue attention to myself.

Any advice? Should I pour my beer in an unmarked thermos before setting out?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts