Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot of mixed reviews about the new Wrangler but how does the engine hold up off-road? How do you guys feel it in rock? In sand? In the street?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Haven't spent much of my 1400 miles off road but it runs good on the street. It has no problem keeping up with traffic and will surprise most leaving a stop light.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
I hear a lot of mixed reviews about the new Wrangler but how does the engine hold up off-road? How do you guys feel it in rock? In sand? In the street?
Where did you hear/read mixed reviews of the 2012 Wrangler. I've seen nothing but very glowing reports from the professional automotive press. Can you post a link to one or two of the 'lot' of them? :D

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
It sucks don't buy it.. :whistling:

·
Statler & Waldorf Show
835 Posts
After running my motorcycle GPS (BMW Motorrad Navigator III) in my Jeep for 3 weeks now I took a look at the trip computer screen and took a screenshot.

Check out that max speed. Dunno about off road but I couldn't even tell I was going that fast. And still getting upper teen mpg. Fantastic for getting to that drive through window first.

Trip Computer.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took mine ('12 Sport Unlimited, manual with 3.73's) to the sand dunes and the engine performed great. Had no problem pulling the steep hills in 4Hi. I really liked that the engine can rev to over 6000 RPM. That allowed me to stay in first for most of the hills. It has decent torque down low in the rev range and provides power in the high revs too.
I went with my buds: one with a TJ 5 speed and anohter with a JK Unlimited with a 3.8. Mine climbed the grades more easily than either.

I am really diggin' this Jeep!

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
According to a recent Four Wheeler article review, it is about equal to the 3.8 off road (where the 3.8 shines). On road it is obviously superior.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I have the 3.6 / Auto with 3000 miles on the Jeep already. I love the combination, and can't think of one bad thing to say. By comparison, I bought a new Tacoma in 2007, and after 3000 miles, I was extremely critical of the powertrain.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I don't really have anything else 4wd to compare it to other than my old International, but I'm a little concerned about how necessary it seems to be to use 4L even in very mild conditions. This is supposed to be my way to work in the one snow storm (although we got two this year) we get every winter and I'm concerned that the clutch is going to get killed in the process if I use 4H. It would be nice to have more torque just off idle, but that isn't going to happen given the size of the engine. Like I said, all I have to compare it to is my old International and with a 501 cube straight 6 and 4.56 gears it doesn't lack for anything down low. Up high is another matter.

I also don't like the clutch. It has no feel at all, but I suspect that was the same with all of the JKs.

Other than those two things I'm really happy with it. I think at very low rpms the 3.8 that I test drove was a little stronger, but if the revs are up even a little the 3.6 does better.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
oilwell1415 said:
I think at very low rpms the 3.8 that I test drove was a little stronger, but if the revs are up even a little the 3.6 does better.
This is exactly what Four Wheeler magazine said in their review in the latest edition.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts