Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! This is my first post about a Jeep anywhere and I recently got a MY14 Unlimited Overland here in Australia (RHD).

I'm very interested in learning how to tune the Pentastars in the jeeps. Specifically, how does one access and modify the timing table or is this an authorized service center secret? I ask because I have some ideas to do a DIY forced induction.

Thanks in advance.

Guy (from down under)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hi everyone! This is my first post about a Jeep anywhere and I recently got a MY14 Unlimited Overland here in Australia (RHD).

I'm very interested in learning how to tune the Pentastars in the jeeps. Specifically, how does one access and modify the timing table or is this an authorized service center secret? I ask because I have some ideas to do a DIY forced induction.

Thanks in advance.

Guy (from down under)
'Ignition timing' is controlled via software (the PCM), so 'hacking' skills will be required.

'Valve timing' is controlled via mechanical design (the cam phasers), so machinist skills will be required.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'Ignition timing' is controlled via software (the PCM), so 'hacking' skills will be required.

'Valve timing' is controlled via mechanical design (the cam phasers), so machinist skills will be required.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's the software aspect that I'm interested in. In other words, how do places like Ripp, Magnuson, Sprintex, etc. figure out the timing tables? Would a typical performance shop be able to do this or does it need some actual "hacking" skills as you put it?

Thanks again.

Guy

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Those manufacturers have access to whatever limited information Jeep provides regarding the PCM/ECU programming. Hacking the PCM/ECU can lead to very unpredictable and undesirable results. However, if you must walk this path, for starters there is a lengthy thread on this forum one owner who has done some hacking (mostly monitoring) of the PCM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... will look it up. Hopes are being shattered slowly. Maybe I'll just go for a bolt on SC or something. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The forced induction manufacturers use Diablosport CMR software to create the tunes. As far as I know, you cannot get a single user/vehicle license for the software. Diablosport only intends to sell to tuning shops, so the licensing is very expensive. According to this old thread, it's $5000 just for Chrysler tuning capabilities: Diablosport Forums • View topic - CMR software Price

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The forced induction manufacturers use Diablosport CMR software to create the tunes. As far as I know, you cannot get a single user/vehicle license for the software. Diablosport only intends to sell to tuning shops, so the licensing is very expensive. According to this old thread, it's $5000 just for Chrysler tuning capabilities: Diablosport Forums • View topic - CMR software Price
Very interesting info... never been happier to not be able to afford something :) I think I will speak to a few tuning places and see.

So, doesn't anyone tune their stock engines, say, based on where they live, etc.? I swear the dealer or whoever has tuned mine to work better with RON 95 (we have E10, RON 91, RON 95, 98, mostly) than the recommended RON 91 (the Aus JK manual says 91).

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Very interesting info... never been happier to not be able to afford something :) I think I will speak to a few tuning places and see.

So, doesn't anyone tune their stock engines, say, based on where they live, etc.? I swear the dealer or whoever has tuned mine to work better with RON 95 (we have E10, RON 91, RON 95, 98, mostly) than the recommended RON 91 (the Aus JK manual says 91).
They're probably not doing anything special for you individually. There are premade tunes out there, like from Diablo. It's not a custom-written piece unless you're spending much more money...I'm not even sure if anyone is really doing that for JKs, though. I'm also involved in Corvettes and it's a common thing for them.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I swear the dealer or whoever has tuned mine to work better with RON 95 (we have E10, RON 91, RON 95, 98, mostly) than the recommended RON 91 (the Aus JK manual says 91).
I've never heard of any dealer tuning or optional factory tunes for different fuel types. If someone setup your Jeep to be optimized for higher octane, then you should know what was done. Either you paid for a handheld tuner (Diablosport inTune or Trinity, Superchips Flashpaq, Bullydog, etc) and the dealer/shop installed one of the included tunes for you, our you paid some serious money for a custom tune at an authorized Diablosport CMR tuning shop (which would require the purchase of a Diablosport handheld tuner to install the tune).

Either way, you should have a handheld tuner in your possession, because once a tune is written to the vehicle, these tuners are locked to your vehicle's VIN (not reusable) until you revert to stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never heard of any dealer tuning or optional factory tunes for different fuel types. If someone setup your Jeep to be optimized for higher octane, then you should know what was done. Either you paid for a handheld tuner (Diablosport inTune or Trinity, Superchips Flashpaq, Bullydog, etc) and the dealer/shop installed one of the included tunes for you, our you paid some serious money for a custom tune at an authorized Diablosport CMR tuning shop (which would require the purchase of a Diablosport handheld tuner to install the tune).

Either way, you should have a handheld tuner in your possession, because once a tune is written to the vehicle, these tuners are locked to your vehicle's VIN (not reusable) until you revert to stock.
Thanks... so I guess it's just ordinary behavior.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts