Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get a feel for life span. I start my jeep alot, and it's one of those things that can strand you somewhere.

I was thinking of replacing it before I have a problem. Google searches didn't reveal any major issues with our starters, but they do wear.

It's $130 for a new one, at that price its cheaper than a tow.

·
Registered
810 Posts
With modern starters being much improved, and EFI reducing the actual "use" of the starter, I doubt it would be an issue before 200k. Back in the days of "pump the gas and crank" you could wear a starter's brushes out pretty quick.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That must be the case. I've had to change starters on older vehicles that I've had. But appears to be more rare for starters to go out these days.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just wanted to get a feel for life span. I start my jeep alot, and it's one of those things that can strand you somewhere.

I was thinking of replacing it before I have a problem. Google searches didn't reveal any major issues with our starters, but they do wear.

It's $130 for a new one, at that price its cheaper than a tow.
I think the same about my fuel pump. From my other vehicle history they fail after ~100k miles and harder to replace than a starter, especially so if on a trail. No access panel means you gotta drop the tank.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually about to change my fuel pump. Was doing a forum search to see if anyone had pics or video of dropping the tank and this popped up. How ironic

·
Registered
37 Posts
Look at replacing at 5 year mark. Mine went at 5 and a half and was only because lube on the spiral shaft had dried out and was having problems engaging.

This is something you can change yourself as well. Just take your time and have the proper tools or you can break the connector housing, but nothing grey rtv couldn't fix.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Had to replace one about 2 years ago. Went at the same time as the battery.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you are worried about it stranding you, you could look at the tools you need to replace and carry the extra starter and the tools required with you.

It won't go to waste (as someday the old one will go bad) or take up much room. Or could sell if you trade jeep before needing it. etc. Not sure how long they give you to get your core money back. Be funny if you come back 5 years later with your receipt and core.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts